Bud Light Platinum Beer: What You Need to Know About the Newest Bud
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2012 11:37 AM EST
Bud Light Platinum Beer was introduced during two 30-second commercials in the first quarter of the Super Bowl. Here's what you need to know about the newest Budweiser beer.
The ads cost the company several million dollars, but they were a great way to showcase the new beer, which hit the shelves Jan. 30 in translucent blue glass.
Whether or not the neat new glass color is just a gimmick is yet to be determined, but the Anheuser-Busch/InBev beer is different from other Bud offerings.
Ringing in at 6 percent alcohol by volume, Bud Light Platinum beer packs a bit more of a punch than most popular American beers, like Bud Light, which is 4.2 percent alcohol, and Bud, which is 5 percent.
Beyond that, the beer is slightly sweeter than regular Bud Light, and it has a little more of a kick than most light beers, and is highly carbonated.
The beer is not very light on the waistline, however, as it contains 137 calories, shaving only 8 calories off the 145 calories in a regular Budweiser, according to the Washington Post.
Bud Light Platinum beer also costs about $1.50 more than normal Bud Light per six-pack, the Post reported.
Industry analyst David "Bump" Williams told the paper that he's skeptical about Bud Light Platinum Beer.
"Bud Light with 6 percent alcohol by volume and a sweet taste is an oxymoron in my mind," Williams noted. "It's not drinkable, and it's certainly not going to attract spirits shoppers over to beer as planned. Its taste is not for Bud Light drinkers, so I'm expecting a lot of product on the shelves with very little repeat purchases at the super-premium price point. It's better than Bud Light Golden Wheat, but that's a very low base."
Anheuser-Busch described the beer as "a trendy blue-bottle line extension that appeals to a key group of beer drinkers and expands consumer occasions," in its third-quarter earnings report. Online, it describes Bud Light Platinum beer as "top-shelf taste."
But the initial online reaction to the Super Bowl spots and Bud Light Platinum beer in general is not exactly positive:
"But "Bud Light Platinum" is the laziest naming scheme in the history of lazy naming schemes, especially when the bottle is blue," SBNation wrote Sunday. "Consider: American Express Platinum is platinum-colored. It is one better than Gold, which is one better than-well, Green, but there is, nevertheless, a metal-based hierarchy being established, here. (It's two better than zinc!) Bud Light Platinum is one unit of measurement better than Bud Light-which I'm sure they will tell you is also really great."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Most Breathtaking Sunsets In The World
- Mayweather’s Next Gift To GF Bad Medina Is A Private Jet
- Newlyweds Angelina Jolie And Brad Pitt Honeymoon Details, Couple On Board Luxury Yacht In Malta [SEE VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- 5 Scents For Men That Are Perfect For Fall 2014 Including Tom Ford Noir And Burberry Brit Rhythm For Men [WATCH VIDEOS]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet