Astronomer Creates Wine from 4 Billion-Year-Old Meteorite
By Akshaya B S | February 5, 2012 10:00 PM EST
An astronomer from Britain has, apparently, created wine from a 4.5 billion year old meteorite! An expatriate, Ian Hutechon has labelled his astronomical-alcoholic creation - Meteorito. The wine was created by placing a meteorite inside a wine barrel.
The base wine was from Hutcheon's own vineyard, in the Cachapoal Valley of Chile, which he bought in 2009. The specially chosen grapes are fermented for 25 days before placed in a vine barrel with a three-inch (7.6cm) piece of the meteorite. Apparently there are already 10,000 litres of this other-worldly drink ready.
The meteorite itself, incidentally, came from an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and crashed into the Atacama Desert some 6,000 years ago.
The wine is available only at the Centro Astronomico Tagua Tagua observatory, which was established by Hutcheon in 2007.
"A major difference is that you are tasting elements from the birth of the solar system, and that for me this is a major difference," said Hutcheon, the creator of this special wine to the Telegraph.
"You are tasting space, in a way you physically taste elements of the solar system and of the history of the meteorite that spent millions of years orbiting the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, you are tasting that," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories