Astronomer Creates Wine from 4 Billion-Year-Old Meteorite
By Akshaya B S | February 5, 2012 10:00 PM EST
An astronomer from Britain has, apparently, created wine from a 4.5 billion year old meteorite! An expatriate, Ian Hutechon has labelled his astronomical-alcoholic creation - Meteorito. The wine was created by placing a meteorite inside a wine barrel.
The base wine was from Hutcheon's own vineyard, in the Cachapoal Valley of Chile, which he bought in 2009. The specially chosen grapes are fermented for 25 days before placed in a vine barrel with a three-inch (7.6cm) piece of the meteorite. Apparently there are already 10,000 litres of this other-worldly drink ready.
The meteorite itself, incidentally, came from an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and crashed into the Atacama Desert some 6,000 years ago.
The wine is available only at the Centro Astronomico Tagua Tagua observatory, which was established by Hutcheon in 2007.
"A major difference is that you are tasting elements from the birth of the solar system, and that for me this is a major difference," said Hutcheon, the creator of this special wine to the Telegraph.
"You are tasting space, in a way you physically taste elements of the solar system and of the history of the meteorite that spent millions of years orbiting the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, you are tasting that," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu