Astronomer Creates Wine from 4 Billion-Year-Old Meteorite
By Akshaya B S | February 5, 2012 10:00 PM EST
An astronomer from Britain has, apparently, created wine from a 4.5 billion year old meteorite! An expatriate, Ian Hutechon has labelled his astronomical-alcoholic creation - Meteorito. The wine was created by placing a meteorite inside a wine barrel.
The base wine was from Hutcheon's own vineyard, in the Cachapoal Valley of Chile, which he bought in 2009. The specially chosen grapes are fermented for 25 days before placed in a vine barrel with a three-inch (7.6cm) piece of the meteorite. Apparently there are already 10,000 litres of this other-worldly drink ready.
The meteorite itself, incidentally, came from an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and crashed into the Atacama Desert some 6,000 years ago.
The wine is available only at the Centro Astronomico Tagua Tagua observatory, which was established by Hutcheon in 2007.
"A major difference is that you are tasting elements from the birth of the solar system, and that for me this is a major difference," said Hutcheon, the creator of this special wine to the Telegraph.
"You are tasting space, in a way you physically taste elements of the solar system and of the history of the meteorite that spent millions of years orbiting the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, you are tasting that," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build