Leander Paes Says Next up is Olympic Medal in Doubles
February 4, 2012 11:08 PM EST
Indian tennis ace Leander Paes has confirmed he will next target his second Olympic medal... this time in the doubles category, at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
The 38-year-old, who recently finished a career Grand Slam (following his men's doubles triumph at the 2012 Australian Open) and has an Olympic singles' Gold medal (1996 Atlanta), admitted he split from his former long-standing partner Mahesh Bhupathi because the objective of a medal required partnerships with younger players.
"My next aim is an Olympic medal in doubles. It would be the epitome of my career. Also want to complete a career Grand Slam in Mixed Doubles," said Paes, who, incidentally, is now the first Indian to complete the career Slam. Paes is also the only Indian to win an Olympic medal in tennis.
He wants to do it again!
"I want to win the medal for my flag and my people," Paes was quoted as saying by NDTV.
At the 2012 Australian Open, Paes partnered 33-year-old Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic to the men's doubles crown and made it to the final of the mixed doubles with 25-year-old Russian Elena Vesnina.
"Mahesh and I split because we both needed younger legs to play with. I hadn't won a single Grand Slam last year and I was desperate to win one. It wasn't happening with Mahesh," he explained.
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills