GB Davis Cup Team Prepares For Match Without Andy
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2012 9:34 PM EST
The Great Britain Davis Cup team will need to prepare to play without Andy Murray next month, with the British number one set to miss the match up with Slovakia because of injury concerns.
James Ward, Dan Evans, Colin Fleming and Ross Hutcins will have to make up for the loss of Murray in the opening game, and while the Scot is gutted to be missing out, he believes that with a very busy season ahead, it was the right decision to take precautions.
Great Britain are currently aiming to get back into the elite 16-team World Group, and after being promoted from Group II to the Euro/Africa Zone Group I, the side will be feeling the loss of their best player as they prepare for their next match up.
And while captain Leon Smith believes that Slovakia will be favourites in the tie, he is hoping that his team can use that to their advantage.
"This is a real step-up in standard for the team, and we go into the tie knowing the Slovak Republic will be favourites," he explained.
"But I am confident the boys will see this as a great chance to put everything into representing their country, and that with the backing of a fantastic set of home fans, we can upset the odds."
Murray said that he didn't want to spread himself too thinly across all competitions, and was concentrating on performing well in the Grand Slams and Olympics.
"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia," he said.
"My focus in 2012 is on performing well in the Grand Slams and the Olympics. I look forward to playing in the next Davis Cup tie later in the year."
"I'm gutted to miss out on the Davis Cup having really enjoyed playing last year.
"But, as it's only the start of an important season, which includes the Olympics in London, it's probably a sensible decision."
Murray got through to the Australian Open semi finals, but was beaten in five sets by eventual tournament winner Novak Djokovic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million