GB Davis Cup Team Prepares For Match Without Andy
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2012 9:34 PM EST
The Great Britain Davis Cup team will need to prepare to play without Andy Murray next month, with the British number one set to miss the match up with Slovakia because of injury concerns.
James Ward, Dan Evans, Colin Fleming and Ross Hutcins will have to make up for the loss of Murray in the opening game, and while the Scot is gutted to be missing out, he believes that with a very busy season ahead, it was the right decision to take precautions.
Great Britain are currently aiming to get back into the elite 16-team World Group, and after being promoted from Group II to the Euro/Africa Zone Group I, the side will be feeling the loss of their best player as they prepare for their next match up.
And while captain Leon Smith believes that Slovakia will be favourites in the tie, he is hoping that his team can use that to their advantage.
"This is a real step-up in standard for the team, and we go into the tie knowing the Slovak Republic will be favourites," he explained.
"But I am confident the boys will see this as a great chance to put everything into representing their country, and that with the backing of a fantastic set of home fans, we can upset the odds."
Murray said that he didn't want to spread himself too thinly across all competitions, and was concentrating on performing well in the Grand Slams and Olympics.
"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia," he said.
"My focus in 2012 is on performing well in the Grand Slams and the Olympics. I look forward to playing in the next Davis Cup tie later in the year."
"I'm gutted to miss out on the Davis Cup having really enjoyed playing last year.
"But, as it's only the start of an important season, which includes the Olympics in London, it's probably a sensible decision."
Murray got through to the Australian Open semi finals, but was beaten in five sets by eventual tournament winner Novak Djokovic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]