GB Davis Cup Team Prepares For Match Without Andy
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2012 9:34 PM EST
The Great Britain Davis Cup team will need to prepare to play without Andy Murray next month, with the British number one set to miss the match up with Slovakia because of injury concerns.
James Ward, Dan Evans, Colin Fleming and Ross Hutcins will have to make up for the loss of Murray in the opening game, and while the Scot is gutted to be missing out, he believes that with a very busy season ahead, it was the right decision to take precautions.
Great Britain are currently aiming to get back into the elite 16-team World Group, and after being promoted from Group II to the Euro/Africa Zone Group I, the side will be feeling the loss of their best player as they prepare for their next match up.
And while captain Leon Smith believes that Slovakia will be favourites in the tie, he is hoping that his team can use that to their advantage.
"This is a real step-up in standard for the team, and we go into the tie knowing the Slovak Republic will be favourites," he explained.
"But I am confident the boys will see this as a great chance to put everything into representing their country, and that with the backing of a fantastic set of home fans, we can upset the odds."
Murray said that he didn't want to spread himself too thinly across all competitions, and was concentrating on performing well in the Grand Slams and Olympics.
"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia," he said.
"My focus in 2012 is on performing well in the Grand Slams and the Olympics. I look forward to playing in the next Davis Cup tie later in the year."
"I'm gutted to miss out on the Davis Cup having really enjoyed playing last year.
"But, as it's only the start of an important season, which includes the Olympics in London, it's probably a sensible decision."
Murray got through to the Australian Open semi finals, but was beaten in five sets by eventual tournament winner Novak Djokovic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28