GB Davis Cup Team Prepares For Match Without Andy
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2012 9:34 PM EST
The Great Britain Davis Cup team will need to prepare to play without Andy Murray next month, with the British number one set to miss the match up with Slovakia because of injury concerns.
James Ward, Dan Evans, Colin Fleming and Ross Hutcins will have to make up for the loss of Murray in the opening game, and while the Scot is gutted to be missing out, he believes that with a very busy season ahead, it was the right decision to take precautions.
Great Britain are currently aiming to get back into the elite 16-team World Group, and after being promoted from Group II to the Euro/Africa Zone Group I, the side will be feeling the loss of their best player as they prepare for their next match up.
And while captain Leon Smith believes that Slovakia will be favourites in the tie, he is hoping that his team can use that to their advantage.
"This is a real step-up in standard for the team, and we go into the tie knowing the Slovak Republic will be favourites," he explained.
"But I am confident the boys will see this as a great chance to put everything into representing their country, and that with the backing of a fantastic set of home fans, we can upset the odds."
Murray said that he didn't want to spread himself too thinly across all competitions, and was concentrating on performing well in the Grand Slams and Olympics.
"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia," he said.
"My focus in 2012 is on performing well in the Grand Slams and the Olympics. I look forward to playing in the next Davis Cup tie later in the year."
"I'm gutted to miss out on the Davis Cup having really enjoyed playing last year.
"But, as it's only the start of an important season, which includes the Olympics in London, it's probably a sensible decision."
Murray got through to the Australian Open semi finals, but was beaten in five sets by eventual tournament winner Novak Djokovic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap