GB Davis Cup Team Prepares For Match Without Andy
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2012 9:34 PM EST
The Great Britain Davis Cup team will need to prepare to play without Andy Murray next month, with the British number one set to miss the match up with Slovakia because of injury concerns.
James Ward, Dan Evans, Colin Fleming and Ross Hutcins will have to make up for the loss of Murray in the opening game, and while the Scot is gutted to be missing out, he believes that with a very busy season ahead, it was the right decision to take precautions.
Great Britain are currently aiming to get back into the elite 16-team World Group, and after being promoted from Group II to the Euro/Africa Zone Group I, the side will be feeling the loss of their best player as they prepare for their next match up.
And while captain Leon Smith believes that Slovakia will be favourites in the tie, he is hoping that his team can use that to their advantage.
"This is a real step-up in standard for the team, and we go into the tie knowing the Slovak Republic will be favourites," he explained.
"But I am confident the boys will see this as a great chance to put everything into representing their country, and that with the backing of a fantastic set of home fans, we can upset the odds."
Murray said that he didn't want to spread himself too thinly across all competitions, and was concentrating on performing well in the Grand Slams and Olympics.
"I've been told to take a few weeks off after picking up a few minor injuries in Australia," he said.
"My focus in 2012 is on performing well in the Grand Slams and the Olympics. I look forward to playing in the next Davis Cup tie later in the year."
"I'm gutted to miss out on the Davis Cup having really enjoyed playing last year.
"But, as it's only the start of an important season, which includes the Olympics in London, it's probably a sensible decision."
Murray got through to the Australian Open semi finals, but was beaten in five sets by eventual tournament winner Novak Djokovic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools