Australian Open 2012: Murray Sets-Up Quarter-Final Clash with Japanese Giant-Killer
By Gordon Macrae | January 24, 2012 12:42 AM EST
Andy Murray cruised into the Australian Open quarter-finals for a third consecutive year after his opponent, Mikhail Kukushkin, was forced to retire through injury while 6-1 6-1 1-0 down.
The British No.1 was rarely troubled as he found his rhythm early to lead comprehensively by the time Kukushkin pulled out with a left hip flexor problem.
A mere 49 minutes against a clearly troubled opponent provided us with few glimpses of Murray's current mindset but the ease with which the World No.4 crushed his opponent augers well for the second week in Melbourne.
And Murray will need every reserve of strength for Wednesday's match after Kei Nishikori beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to set up a quarter-final clash with the Scot.
"I saw a little bit of the match. Kei is playing really, really well. I practised with him a few times. He's very good, very deceptive. For somebody that's not the tallest guy he creates a lot of power from the back of the court. He deals with pace well. He can slice. He moves well," Murray is quoted in the Guardian.
"He was hitting a lot of winners out there. He was dictating all the points from the back of the court which is difficult against someone like Tsonga. He's won a few long matches here as well. I saw him in the gym a lot. I think he's gotten in better shape as well."
But Murray will not feel too daunted against the 24th-seed - against whom he has a winning record - particularly in light of a "boring" encounter with Kukushkin.
"I played him [Kukushkin] a few weeks ago at Brisbane and it was three tough sets and I expected another tough one today," Murray told the BBC.
"I hadn't seen him play before Brisbane and he hit some huge shots early and made me work.
"It is tough for him for that to happen in the fourth round of a Grand Slam for the first time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June