Australian Open 2012: Murray Sets-Up Quarter-Final Clash with Japanese Giant-Killer
By Gordon Macrae | January 24, 2012 12:42 AM EST
Andy Murray cruised into the Australian Open quarter-finals for a third consecutive year after his opponent, Mikhail Kukushkin, was forced to retire through injury while 6-1 6-1 1-0 down.
The British No.1 was rarely troubled as he found his rhythm early to lead comprehensively by the time Kukushkin pulled out with a left hip flexor problem.
A mere 49 minutes against a clearly troubled opponent provided us with few glimpses of Murray's current mindset but the ease with which the World No.4 crushed his opponent augers well for the second week in Melbourne.
And Murray will need every reserve of strength for Wednesday's match after Kei Nishikori beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to set up a quarter-final clash with the Scot.
"I saw a little bit of the match. Kei is playing really, really well. I practised with him a few times. He's very good, very deceptive. For somebody that's not the tallest guy he creates a lot of power from the back of the court. He deals with pace well. He can slice. He moves well," Murray is quoted in the Guardian.
"He was hitting a lot of winners out there. He was dictating all the points from the back of the court which is difficult against someone like Tsonga. He's won a few long matches here as well. I saw him in the gym a lot. I think he's gotten in better shape as well."
But Murray will not feel too daunted against the 24th-seed - against whom he has a winning record - particularly in light of a "boring" encounter with Kukushkin.
"I played him [Kukushkin] a few weeks ago at Brisbane and it was three tough sets and I expected another tough one today," Murray told the BBC.
"I hadn't seen him play before Brisbane and he hit some huge shots early and made me work.
"It is tough for him for that to happen in the fourth round of a Grand Slam for the first time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How