Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 vs iPad
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 19, 2012 4:56 PM EST
Apple is credited for introducing the tablet computers to the world, but Samsung gave the world a choice. By comparing the iPad with the Galaxy Tab 7.0, it is easy to narrow down the similarities and differences between the two remarkable devices.
By unraveling the two best tablets and their best and weak features, it would provide techies more information as they choose between the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G and the Galaxy Tab Plus.
Physical Dimension and Display
The iPad has a dimension of 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4 mm while Galaxy Tab has 193.7 x 122.4 x 9.9 mm, clearly its size is a lot smaller compared to the IOS. In terms of screen, both have capacitive touchscreen but their difference in the screen size is 2.7 inches, iPad has the larger screen. When it comes to durability, the iPad's screen is scratch-resistant while the Galaxy Tab has TouchWiz UX UI. Technically, iPad is better in this area.
When it comes to alerts, iPad has no applicable option on this one while Galaxy Tab has the standards used by smartphones. The Galaxy Tab has built-in stereo speakers too. In short, Galaxy Tab is better in speaker mode for multiple listeners.
Memory and Storage
The Galaxy Tab has built-in 16 or 32 GB storage depending on choice upon purchase. The tablet device can be expanded by microSD card up to 64 GB, total of 96GB of storage. At the same time it has a 1GB RAM for application needs.
The iPad has built-in 16, 32, or 64 GB of storage and there is no way to expand it. This indicates that all applications, especially for the newly installed ones, will take some memory on the RAM due to the same space they share. The iPad has 256 MB of RAM for application operation.
In this area, techies who are big downloaders and want to store a lot of data would probably prefer Samsung.
Both devices have GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA capability and Wi-Fi service as well. But the Galaxy Tab can be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot, meaning it can share its Internet connection by producing it via wireless option. Each device has Bluetooth capabilities and USB connections. Surprisingly, Galaxy Tab has Infrared port but it is useless on certain devices until now.
Basically, both devices are okay with their data stats, but users who are technical and wants to have everything, will definitely opt for Samsung Galaxy Tab.
This is a great advantage for the Galaxy Tab Plus because the iPad does not have any camera at all. The Galaxy Tablet has 3.15 MP 2048 x 1536 pixels with autofocus and LED flash rear camera, while the secondary one has 2MP, video recording capability and 720p@30 frames per second capability.
The iPad is under IOS 4 but can be upgraded to IOS 5 which will give a lot more innovation in overall system performance. Galaxy Tab is under Android 3.2 or Honeycomb and has only updates on the same Android version. In this area, the iPad can get not only fixes but also add-ons due to a major leap between standalone OS versions, Honeycomb is the only Android version so far fitted to be used in tablets, but as an alternative, customised ROMS for Android Tablets are also open for techies who might be interested.
CPU and Chipsets
The Galaxy Tab is installed with dual-core 1.2 GHz Exynos 4210 chipset processor while the iPad has 1GHz Cortex A8 and Apple A4 chipset. Technically and surely in real time, the Galaxy Tab Plus has overrun the iPad by means of speed, memory, and processor.
The iPad has also Twitter integration, can play up to 10 hours of movie, iBooks, and the legendary iCloud service. The Galaxy Tab Plus has an image/video editor, QuickOffice, Picasa integration and all Google services.
According to WE Electronics the iPad costs $774.99 and the Galaxy Tab costs $559.99.
Besides the price difference, both tablets have their own strengths and weaknesses which inevitably boil down to making a choice between the IOS and the Android.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers