Canada posts C$175 mln trade surplus in April
By Srikanth Srinivasa | June 12, 2010 2:05 AM EST
Canada’s balance of trade with the world reached a surplus in April as imports fell more than its exports, Statistics Canada reported.
The federal agency on Thursday said Canada posted a trade surplus of C$175 million during the month after it posted a C$236-million deficit in March.
Both export and import volumes increased for a third consecutive month though at a slower pace than before, but exports fell 1 percent while imports declined 2.2 percent in April due to lower prices, the statistics agency said.
The decline in exports was led by a drop in precious metals. However, industrial goods and materials accounted for the 2.2 per cent fall in imports, the agency said.
The trade balance in March was revised downwards to a C$236 million ($228 million) deficit from a C$254 million ($250 million) surplus previously.
Here are some key facts:
- Exports of precious metals fall 27.4 percent in April
- Fertilizer exports decline 13.7 percent due to lower potash exports
- Exports of natural gas fall 20.9 percent due to lower prices and volumes
- Exports of animal products ( mink fur, and nickel ores) up.
- Imports of chemicals and plastics decline 10.0 percent due to lower imports of organic chemicals
- Imports of precious metal fall 30.8 percent
- Trade with the US flat at C$3.8 billion
- Exports to US up 0.7 percent
- Imports to US up 0.9 percent
- Exports to the EU fall 23.4 percent
- Imports to EU fell 7.0 percent
- Trade deficit with other countries (excluding US) down to C$3.6 billion from C$4 billion in March
- Exports to other countries (except US) down 5.5 percent
- Imports to other countries down 7 percent
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Iran Wants Nuclear Flexibility Before It Works with US, Coalition Against ISIS
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- Rob Ford's Brother Doug Kicks Off Toronto Mayoral Campaign
- Ottawa Issues Warning Against Canadians Joining ISIS, Other Terror Groups – Passports Will Be Revoked
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown