Canada posts C$175 mln trade surplus in April
By Srikanth Srinivasa | June 12, 2010 2:05 AM EST
Canada’s balance of trade with the world reached a surplus in April as imports fell more than its exports, Statistics Canada reported.
The federal agency on Thursday said Canada posted a trade surplus of C$175 million during the month after it posted a C$236-million deficit in March.
Both export and import volumes increased for a third consecutive month though at a slower pace than before, but exports fell 1 percent while imports declined 2.2 percent in April due to lower prices, the statistics agency said.
The decline in exports was led by a drop in precious metals. However, industrial goods and materials accounted for the 2.2 per cent fall in imports, the agency said.
The trade balance in March was revised downwards to a C$236 million ($228 million) deficit from a C$254 million ($250 million) surplus previously.
Here are some key facts:
- Exports of precious metals fall 27.4 percent in April
- Fertilizer exports decline 13.7 percent due to lower potash exports
- Exports of natural gas fall 20.9 percent due to lower prices and volumes
- Exports of animal products ( mink fur, and nickel ores) up.
- Imports of chemicals and plastics decline 10.0 percent due to lower imports of organic chemicals
- Imports of precious metal fall 30.8 percent
- Trade with the US flat at C$3.8 billion
- Exports to US up 0.7 percent
- Imports to US up 0.9 percent
- Exports to the EU fall 23.4 percent
- Imports to EU fell 7.0 percent
- Trade deficit with other countries (excluding US) down to C$3.6 billion from C$4 billion in March
- Exports to other countries (except US) down 5.5 percent
- Imports to other countries down 7 percent
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’