Dell allocates $100 million to cope with SEC investigation
By Carl Bagh | June 11, 2010 11:53 PM EST
Dell has allocated $100 million to cope with the repercussions of a probe by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) that has been going on since 2005. The investigation pertains to Dell's financial relations with Intel.
More recently the investigation has looked into the actions of the company's CEO Michael Dell.
The allegations concern mistakes in revenue recognition and accounting irregularities including contravention of anti-fraud provisions of securities laws. The investigation formally started in 2006. As a result, Dell had to delay reporting its earnings in November. The company began its own investigation, which was completed in 2007.
As a result of its audit, the company had to reduce its net income for the restatement period--from 2003 through 2006 and the first quarter of 2007--by between $50 million and $150 million, or 2 cents to 7 cents per share, Forbes reported in 2007.
Dell's relationship with Intel was already under scrutiny in an anti-trust lawsuit. In that case Dell was accused of reporting expenses improperly while it was receiving funds from Intel to use their products instead of the similar cheaper components from AMD.
Dell's shares fell about 2 percent on Thursday following the company's report.
Michael Dell would be subject to a fine if the case is settled, but would be allowed to continue as CEO and chairman of the board.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier