American Surgeon to Remove 1 Meter, 90 Kilo Tumor from Vietnam Man’s Leg
By Windsor Genova | January 5, 2012 1:02 PM EST
An American surgeon, known for removing big tumors, will operate on a Vietnamese man Thursday to remove a one metre long, 90 kilogramme tumor in his right leg.
Dr. McKay McKinnon of Chicago, together with Vietnamese doctors, will perform the operation on Nguyen Duy Hai, 31, at the Ho Chi Minh City Tumour Hospital.
Hai's tumor is the largest ever recorded in Vietnam, according to Vu Van Thach, head of examination department of Hanoi Tumour Hospital. The tumor started growing since Hai was born and his right leg became bigger than the left leg by the time he was four years old.
Doctors later learned that the man from Central Highlands province of Lam Dong is suffering from Neurofibromatosis type I (NF-1), a human genetic disorder.
At age 17, the leg from the knee was amputated, but the tumour kept growing. Because the tumour was so big, he had to sleep in sitting position and had to rely on his mother for all his needs because he could barely move. Has has been admitted to the Ho Chi Minh City Tumour Hospital since July last year.
The surgery was made possible through cash donations after Hai appealed to the public for funds to cover the medical cost of removing the tumour.
Dr. McKinnon previously operated on a Romanian woman to remove an 80-kilo tumour on her back and thighs. He and Romanian surgeons successfully removed the tumour on Lucica Bunghez, 46, of Transylvania in an 8-hour operation in 2004.
Like Hai, Bungez, suffered from NF, which caused the disfiguring tumours to form on nerves throughout the body.
In 2000, Dr. McKinnon also successfully removed a 91-kilogramme tumour caused by the same disorder from Lori Hoogewind, of Wyoming, Michigan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko