American Surgeon to Remove 1 Meter, 90 Kilo Tumor from Vietnam Man’s Leg
By Windsor Genova | January 5, 2012 1:02 PM EST
An American surgeon, known for removing big tumors, will operate on a Vietnamese man Thursday to remove a one metre long, 90 kilogramme tumor in his right leg.
Dr. McKay McKinnon of Chicago, together with Vietnamese doctors, will perform the operation on Nguyen Duy Hai, 31, at the Ho Chi Minh City Tumour Hospital.
Hai's tumor is the largest ever recorded in Vietnam, according to Vu Van Thach, head of examination department of Hanoi Tumour Hospital. The tumor started growing since Hai was born and his right leg became bigger than the left leg by the time he was four years old.
Doctors later learned that the man from Central Highlands province of Lam Dong is suffering from Neurofibromatosis type I (NF-1), a human genetic disorder.
At age 17, the leg from the knee was amputated, but the tumour kept growing. Because the tumour was so big, he had to sleep in sitting position and had to rely on his mother for all his needs because he could barely move. Has has been admitted to the Ho Chi Minh City Tumour Hospital since July last year.
The surgery was made possible through cash donations after Hai appealed to the public for funds to cover the medical cost of removing the tumour.
Dr. McKinnon previously operated on a Romanian woman to remove an 80-kilo tumour on her back and thighs. He and Romanian surgeons successfully removed the tumour on Lucica Bunghez, 46, of Transylvania in an 8-hour operation in 2004.
Like Hai, Bungez, suffered from NF, which caused the disfiguring tumours to form on nerves throughout the body.
In 2000, Dr. McKinnon also successfully removed a 91-kilogramme tumour caused by the same disorder from Lori Hoogewind, of Wyoming, Michigan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’