American Surgeon to Remove 1 Meter, 90 Kilo Tumor from Vietnam Man’s Leg
By Windsor Genova | January 5, 2012 1:02 PM EST
An American surgeon, known for removing big tumors, will operate on a Vietnamese man Thursday to remove a one metre long, 90 kilogramme tumor in his right leg.
Dr. McKay McKinnon of Chicago, together with Vietnamese doctors, will perform the operation on Nguyen Duy Hai, 31, at the Ho Chi Minh City Tumour Hospital.
Hai's tumor is the largest ever recorded in Vietnam, according to Vu Van Thach, head of examination department of Hanoi Tumour Hospital. The tumor started growing since Hai was born and his right leg became bigger than the left leg by the time he was four years old.
Doctors later learned that the man from Central Highlands province of Lam Dong is suffering from Neurofibromatosis type I (NF-1), a human genetic disorder.
At age 17, the leg from the knee was amputated, but the tumour kept growing. Because the tumour was so big, he had to sleep in sitting position and had to rely on his mother for all his needs because he could barely move. Has has been admitted to the Ho Chi Minh City Tumour Hospital since July last year.
The surgery was made possible through cash donations after Hai appealed to the public for funds to cover the medical cost of removing the tumour.
Dr. McKinnon previously operated on a Romanian woman to remove an 80-kilo tumour on her back and thighs. He and Romanian surgeons successfully removed the tumour on Lucica Bunghez, 46, of Transylvania in an 8-hour operation in 2004.
Like Hai, Bungez, suffered from NF, which caused the disfiguring tumours to form on nerves throughout the body.
In 2000, Dr. McKinnon also successfully removed a 91-kilogramme tumour caused by the same disorder from Lori Hoogewind, of Wyoming, Michigan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet