Fracking in Australia: Should Policy be Changed?
By ranina sanglap | January 5, 2012 9:47 AM EST
With evidence mounting linking the U.S. energy industry's use of the process of hydraulic fracturing also called fracking to the hundreds of small earthquakes from Oklahoma to Ohio, how safe is fracking in Australia?
The earthquakes in Ohio are just the latest case environmentalists are using against the controversial extraction technique called fracking. The technique involves blasting millions of gallons of chemical-laced water and sand deep into the ground to release vast reserves of natural gas.
Although the process provides natural gas for a public hungry for cheap sources of fuel, it's also been the cause of a number of dangerous side effects to human populations living near fracking operations. Fracking leaves behind dangerous toxic wastewater that must be treated or pumped back underground. It is this toxic wastewater that is causing the most problems. Injecting the toxic wastewater back underground can cause groundwater pollution. Last month, health officials from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency warned a Wyoming town that their groundwater contained hydrocarbons from fracking in their wells.
The pressure caused by water pushed far below the surface was also been linked to an increase in seismic activity. The toxic wastewater enters fissures and lubricates fault lines that can cause earthquakes. The Ohio earthquake during New Year's Eve prompted officials to shut down five wells used to dispose the toxic wastewater. The number of earthquakes surged in areas like Arkansas and Pennsylvania where hydraulic fracturing was being utilized.
Although the process of fracking is more commonly used in the U.S. it's fast being used in other countries like Britain. In Australia the debate over hydraulic fracturing has been reignited last November 2011 over a report that fracking conducted by Cuadrilla Resources which is 41% owned by Australian drilling company AJ Lucas, was the cause of two earthquakes near the British town of Blackpool in April and May. Environmentalists like the Lock the Gate Alliance are calling for a rigorous regulatory approach to shale gas fracking.
Hydraulic fracturing has been suspended in NSW but it is still being used in coal-seam gas mining in other states. A Senate committee recently called for a moratorium on all future coal seam gas fracking in the Great Artesian Basin in Queensland and NSW. Greens senator for Queensland Larissa Waters said the Wyoming case should be wake-up call for the nation. The Queensland Government has introduced legislation banning the addition of chemicals benzene, ethylbenzene, toluene and xylene in fracking operations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Kylie Jenner Wants To Quit Modelling To Be A Singer As She Thinks She Is The 'New Katy Perry'; Reasons Why People Switch Careers
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone