Bank of America Loses Ruling in Mortgage Suit Against Countrywide
By Moran Zhang | January 4, 2012 10:06 AM EST
Bank of America Corp. (NYSE:BAC) lost a key ruling against MBIA Inc. (NYSE:MBI), which granted the latter company court permission to pursue further legal action against it, Bloomberg reported Tuesday. MBIA is attempting to make Bank of America buy back faulty mortgage-backed securities originated by its Countrywide Financial unit.
New York State Supreme Court Justice Eileen Bransten said MBIA need only show that Countrywide made misrepresentations about the loans backing the bonds, instead of having to prove a "direct causal link" between Countrywide's alleged misrepresentations and the losses the insurer is seeking to recover.
"No basis in law exists to mandate that MBIA establish a direct causal link between the misrepresentations allegedly made by Countrywide and claims made under the policy," Bransten wrote.
Shares of MBIA closed up 8.1 percent to $12.53 a share. Bank of America ended up 4.3 percent at $5.80 a share, down from the day's high of $5.89.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight