Bank of America Loses Ruling in Mortgage Suit Against Countrywide
By Moran Zhang | January 4, 2012 10:06 AM EST
Bank of America Corp. (NYSE:BAC) lost a key ruling against MBIA Inc. (NYSE:MBI), which granted the latter company court permission to pursue further legal action against it, Bloomberg reported Tuesday. MBIA is attempting to make Bank of America buy back faulty mortgage-backed securities originated by its Countrywide Financial unit.
New York State Supreme Court Justice Eileen Bransten said MBIA need only show that Countrywide made misrepresentations about the loans backing the bonds, instead of having to prove a "direct causal link" between Countrywide's alleged misrepresentations and the losses the insurer is seeking to recover.
"No basis in law exists to mandate that MBIA establish a direct causal link between the misrepresentations allegedly made by Countrywide and claims made under the policy," Bransten wrote.
Shares of MBIA closed up 8.1 percent to $12.53 a share. Bank of America ended up 4.3 percent at $5.80 a share, down from the day's high of $5.89.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop