Jobs Unveils iPhone 4
By Gabriel Perna | June 8, 2010 9:07 AM EST
Unveiling the new iPhone 4 in his keynote address to the Worldwide Developer's Conference in San Francisco, Jobs announced it will include a new feature called iAds. Apple is selling and hosting the ads, which will appear on the iPhone. Developers will get 60% of the money. Thus far advertisers have committed about $60 million.
Financing iPhone app development has been a long-running issue for developers and users. Advertising provides a bigger incentive to develop new ones, Jobs said.
But Jobs spent most of his time touting the new iPhone's design, improved display and software.
The new iPhone will run on an operating system called iOS4, which will allow for multitasking, email threading like what people see on their desktops and a folder to manage applications. Multitasking has been a challenge for smartphones, mostly because the increased power usage. "People said you weren't the first, but we figured it out. If you don't do it right, you kill the battery."
The new iPhone is the thinnest so far, at 9.3 millimeters. It is stainless steel, with glass on the front and back. The antenna is part of the stainless steel casing. Previously the antenna was separate, though it was inside the phone itself.
Apple improved its display with increased pixel density for sharper images. "Awesome text, awesome images, and awesome video. We think this will set the standard for the next several years, and no one is going to come close," Jobs said.
The iPhone 4 also will have an improved camera that allows for high definition video, and offer video editing software built in. The new video system also allows for face-to-face calling a la Skype.
The iPhone will hit the market on June 24, and will sell for $199. The 3G will be discontinued.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues