Jobs Unveils iPhone 4
By Gabriel Perna | June 8, 2010 9:07 AM EST
Unveiling the new iPhone 4 in his keynote address to the Worldwide Developer's Conference in San Francisco, Jobs announced it will include a new feature called iAds. Apple is selling and hosting the ads, which will appear on the iPhone. Developers will get 60% of the money. Thus far advertisers have committed about $60 million.
Financing iPhone app development has been a long-running issue for developers and users. Advertising provides a bigger incentive to develop new ones, Jobs said.
But Jobs spent most of his time touting the new iPhone's design, improved display and software.
The new iPhone will run on an operating system called iOS4, which will allow for multitasking, email threading like what people see on their desktops and a folder to manage applications. Multitasking has been a challenge for smartphones, mostly because the increased power usage. "People said you weren't the first, but we figured it out. If you don't do it right, you kill the battery."
The new iPhone is the thinnest so far, at 9.3 millimeters. It is stainless steel, with glass on the front and back. The antenna is part of the stainless steel casing. Previously the antenna was separate, though it was inside the phone itself.
Apple improved its display with increased pixel density for sharper images. "Awesome text, awesome images, and awesome video. We think this will set the standard for the next several years, and no one is going to come close," Jobs said.
The iPhone 4 also will have an improved camera that allows for high definition video, and offer video editing software built in. The new video system also allows for face-to-face calling a la Skype.
The iPhone will hit the market on June 24, and will sell for $199. The 3G will be discontinued.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast