Indonesia to Have 15 New Oil And Gas Projects Online in 2012
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 20, 2011 10:41 AM EST
Some 15 new oil and gas fields in Indonesia are expected to go online in 2012, with total expected production at 1.15 million standard cubic feet per day (mmscfd) and 32,200 barrels of oil per day (bpd), the country's energy regulator said on Sunday.
The projects, according to BP Migas, will add to the annual average of Indonesia, currently struggling with declining output, of 400 million cubic of gas per day and 15,000 barrel of oil per day.
"We would like to reduce declining pace to 3 percent from 12 percent," Rudi Rubiandini, BP Migas's deputy of operation, said in a statement.
Included in the 15 projects are the 39th, 40th and 54th projects at the West Madura offshore (WMO) block in East Java which are forecast to yield 13,600 bpd starting in the third quarter of next year.
The project at the South Mahakam 1 and 2 fields at the Mahakam block in East Kalimantan, seen to contribute 250 mmscfd of gas and 20,600 bpd of oil, will begin in the fourth quarter of 2012.
Another is the Terang Sirasun Batur field in East Java which will open in the second half of 2012. It is estimated to produce 300 mmscfd of gas.
Indonesia's oil reserves have been declining. As of Jan. 1 this year, reserves stood at 4.03 billion barrels of oil and 104.7 trillion standard cubic feet of gas.
For 2012, reserves will fall to 3.92 billion barrels of oil and 104.5 trillion standard cubic feet of gas.
"Our discoveries were less than our production last year," Rudi said in the Jakarta Post.
Discoveries in 2011 were only 215.5 million barrels of oil and 2.86 trillion standard cubic feet of gas. Actual production amounted to 329.9 billion barrels and 3.08 trillion standard cubic feet of gas.
On Friday, Haposan Napitupulu, BP Migas deputy of planning, said Indonesia's daily oil output may rise to as much as 950,000 barrels in 2012 from 903,441 barrels this year because of additional production from the new fields.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports