Holiday Shoppers Continue Spending Billions Online
By Samuel Weigley | December 19, 2011 11:03 AM EST
Online holiday shopping continues at a blistering pace.
For the week ending Dec. 16, more than $6.3 billion was spent on online shopping, according to digital analytics firm comScore. This figure is 15 percent more than last year.
Notable shopping days included Green Monday (Dec. 12) and Free Shipping Day (Dec. 16), during which sales for both of those days totaled more than $1 billion and were up 19 percent and 14 percent, respectively, compared to last year.
Altogether, online holiday shopping sales have totaled $30.9 billion for the first 46 days of the holiday shopping season, a 15 percent increase compared to last year.
"More than $1 billion in spending on Free Shipping Day put the exclamation point on what will almost certainly be the heaviest week of the online holiday shopping season," comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni said in a statement.
"While next week may see another strong day or two at the beginning of the week, it's clear that we have now reached the crescendo for this season and that spending will begin to slow as we get closer to Christmas, leaving Cyber Monday as the top-ranked shopping day for the second year in a row," the statement continued.
Sales on this year's Cyber Monday totaled $1.25 billion, a 22 percent increase compared to last year.
Last month, comScore predicted that online shopping sales for the holiday season would total $37.6 billion. The firm defines the holiday season as Nov. 1 to Dec. 31.
Separately, comScore notes that free shipping is on the rise. Fifty-six percent of online sales transactions during the week ending Dec. 16 involved free shipping, up 3.8 percent compared to 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date