James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Found Dead in Apparent Suicide
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 17, 2011 4:23 AM EST
James Bissett, the co-owner of Long Island Aquarium, was found dead Wednesday night in what police are calling an apparent suicide.
Police said Bissett was found dead in his car parked in Veterans Memorial Park Wednesday night during an evening patrol, the New York Post reported. While the cause has not been revealed, his death was ruled by police as an apparent suicide and is being investigated by Southold detectives and the Suffolk County Medical Examiner's Office, though there appears to have no foul play.
Bisset, a Mattituck, Long Island resident, owned the popular Long Island Aquarium and a Hyatt Hotel nearby the aquarium and ran a nursery and marina.
"The Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center, Hyatt Place East End Hotel, Bissett Nursery, and Treasure Cove Resort Marina communities mourn the loss of co-owner and founder, James J. Bissett III, who died on Wednesday, December 14 near his home in Mattituck, NY. He was 48.
"No words can adequately express our sadness at Mr. Bissett's death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him," the aquarium said in a statement. "We will honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much."
issett recently put his Mattituck home on the market for $8.9 million but it was reduced to $5.8 million within months, the New York Post reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build