December 13, 2011 5:04 PM EST
PHOTOS:Top 10 Best Fashion Moments
As 2011 rapidly winds down toward its last days, it's fun to look back on fashion's most exciting outfits of the year.
These are the 10 best style moments of the year that was.
1. Beyonce, MTV Video Music Awards: Just as she is wont to do, Queen B kept her pregnancy under wraps until the Video Musical Awards, where she wrapped her baby bump in Lanvin. In a bright orange that no one else could have pulled off, the glamorous diva kept the rest of her look simple and made baby Carter-Knowles the star of the show.
2. Kate Middleton, the royal wedding: It's rough when you have a client who restricts your creative whims as a designer, but when that client isn't only restrictive but marrying a prince, the pressure is on. Sarah Burton, though, performed with incredible grace under pressure when the wedding dress of the century was finally revealed.
3. Michelle Obama, state dinner with China: Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen shines again when the first lady chose to wear one of her astoundingly vivid gowns for a dinner with Chinese President Hu Jintao.
4. Nicki Minaj, New York Fashion Week: Whoever sat Minaj next to Anna Wintour is a genius. While Wintour likes tailored and understated pieces, the over-the-top rap superstar decided to attend Fashion Week in a gaggle of, well, we're not exactly sure what we're looking at, but her outfit was pretty ridiculous.
5. Hailee Steinfield, The Academy Awards: For her nomination for "True Grit," the young star showed true age-appropriate fashion that wowed everyone. Needless to say, she landed a Miu Miu campaign after.
6. Sofia Vergara, The Emmy Awards: The word "bombshell" gets thrown around a lot, but no one best embodies the term than Vergara in a serpentine, one-shoulder Vera Wang gown in red.
7. Daphne Guinness, The Met's Costume Institute Gala: Talk about never being underdressed, the socialite and heiress wore a feathered McQueen creation for the launch of "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" that best encapsulated the designer's aesthetic. Truly a magical night in fashion.
8. Carla Bruni, G-8 Summit Luncheon: Taking a page from Beyonce, the French first lady stepped out in a white shift and Chanel coat that made sure no one missed her very pregnant belly and did she ever look gorgeous.
9. Kate Moss, Another 10th Anniversary Magazine party: No fashion list is ever complete without Miss Moss. Actually on that note, no one else can pull off a Maison Martin Margiela dress that appears to be made from cellophane and a furry Fendi shawl-there truly is only one Kate in London.
10. The Smith Family, basically any red carpet: The family that swags out together stays together.