U.K. Strike Spares Airports From Gridlock, Pandemonium
By Windsor Genova | December 1, 2011 10:02 AM EST
Airports in the U.K. were spared from gridlock and pandemonium on Wednesday when two million workers went on strike to protest the increase in retirement age.
Air travelers did not suffer from long queues and delays in passport clearance expected at London's Heathrow and Gatwick airportd due to striking immigration officers.
Colin Matthews, CEO of BAA, which operates Heathrow, said "pandemonium" had been averted through careful planning, according to Atwonline.com.
Airport officials had asked airlines to reduce their passenger load by half days before strike. Airlines rebooked Wednesday flights for free while others cancelled flights to London for that day.
The U.K. Border Agency also deployed replacement staff trained months before the strike.
The strike closed some 20,000 schools nationwide, postponed 7,000 scheduled surgeries in hospitals and crippled transportation in Northern Ireland.
About 1.09 million state workers in England, Wales and Scotland joined the strike.
Police arrested 21 Occupy London protesters for trespassing and burglary after they went inside a building housing the office of mining company Xstrata in London's Panton Street.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports