U.K. Strike Spares Airports From Gridlock, Pandemonium
By Windsor Genova | December 1, 2011 10:02 AM EST
Airports in the U.K. were spared from gridlock and pandemonium on Wednesday when two million workers went on strike to protest the increase in retirement age.
Air travelers did not suffer from long queues and delays in passport clearance expected at London's Heathrow and Gatwick airportd due to striking immigration officers.
Colin Matthews, CEO of BAA, which operates Heathrow, said "pandemonium" had been averted through careful planning, according to Atwonline.com.
Airport officials had asked airlines to reduce their passenger load by half days before strike. Airlines rebooked Wednesday flights for free while others cancelled flights to London for that day.
The U.K. Border Agency also deployed replacement staff trained months before the strike.
The strike closed some 20,000 schools nationwide, postponed 7,000 scheduled surgeries in hospitals and crippled transportation in Northern Ireland.
About 1.09 million state workers in England, Wales and Scotland joined the strike.
Police arrested 21 Occupy London protesters for trespassing and burglary after they went inside a building housing the office of mining company Xstrata in London's Panton Street.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How