Food Standards Allows Use in Wine of Same Additive in Laxative, Toothpaste
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 28, 2011 10:38 AM EST
The regulator allowed the use of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, more commonly known as cellulose gum or food additive E466, after it found the additive safe for human consumption.
Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose prevents crystals and cloudiness in white and sparkling wines. With the approval of the additive, winemakers would not longer use the traditional method of filtration and refrigeration and would save on costs by about 20 cents a bottle.
"As a result of changes in temperature during transport and storage, tartrate can crystalise in wine, resulting in cloudy wine with sediment, which is undesirable to many consumers," the WFA said in a statement.
Wine makers would add sodium CMC to the wine towards the end of the production process to make chilling or filtration no long necessary.
The MFA said wine drinkers will not know that the additive was used because the country's labelling laws do not require the inclusion of all additives to be declared on wine bottle labels.
Tony Battaglene, spokesman of Winemakers Federation said drinkers would not detect any difference in taste.
"It's environmentally very friendly because it doesn't use a lot of energy.... I don't think consumers would be concerned one way or another," he added.
The approval by the Aussie regulator came two weeks after the European Commission published on Nov. 12 regulations that made it easier for food and drink makers and enforcement officers to understand in which foods and at what levels additives could be used.
The new rules, at the same time, increases consumer protection by lowering the chance of approved additives being used in unauthorized food types or going beyond permitted levels.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales