BP spill now biggest ever in U.S., flow rate estimate grows
May 28, 2010 7:16 AM EST
The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico from BP's Macondo in the Gulf of Mexico well is now the largest in the U.S. history, surpassing 1989's ExxonValdez tanker spill in Alaska in 1989, based on calculations from data released by the head of the U.S. Geological Survey on Thursday.
Preliminary results of oil flow estimates by scientists studying the spill have been calculated to be between 12,000 and 19,000 barrels per day, Marcia McNutt, the director of the USGS said on Thursday in a conference call.
The data was measured by the Flow Rate Technical Team, which included scientific experts from various government agencies and academia.
Official estimates are that the Exxon Valdez spill leaked nearly 11 million gallons of oil into Prince William Sound when it hit a reef.
In the Gulf Coast disaster, an International Business Times calculation estimates that between 17 million and 27 million gallons of oil have already been released into the Gulf of Mexico, assuming a constant flow of oil during the 34 days since the Deepwater Horizon oil rig sank on April 22, to Tuesday, May 25, the day before the latest 'top kill' attempt to plug the well.
BP's most recent of several attempts to stop the flow of oil stabilized the flow of oil by Wednesday morning, but does not mean that the so-called "top kill" operation can be yet called a success, according Lt. Commander Tony Russel, an aide to Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the Associated Press reported.
The official flow rate has now undergone three revisions. The first estimate on April 25, three days after the Deepwater Horizon oil rig sank was reported by the U.S. Coast Guard to be 1,000 barrels of crude oil per day. Three days later, the Guard upgraded the figure to 5,000 barrels per day. That would be about 6 million gallons of oil released into the Gulf so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast