NASA: Storms May Bring Killer Tornadoes and Temperature Drops in Southeastern U.S.
By Genalyn Corocoto | November 21, 2011 5:19 PM EST
Rainfall data collected by the NASA's Tropical Rainfall Mission satellite show that deadly tornadoes and temperature drops of up to 20 percent are expected to accompany severe storms in some parts of the United States.
The findings were gathered after TRMM satellite flew over the southeastern United States at 2310 UTC (6:10 p.m. EST) Wednesday, when tornadoes were occurring with a line of thunderstorms that stretched from western Florida north through North Carolina.
The TRMM data was used to create a rainfall analysis of the line of severe thunderstorms associated with the cold front and it showed that the area of moderate to very heavy rainfall (falling at more than 2 inches or 50 mm per hour) with this frontal system was only located in a narrow line.
The findings were the result of the TRMM rainfall imagery. Rain rates images in the center swaths are taken from the TRMM Precipitation Radar, while rain rates in the outer swath are from the TRMM Microwave Imager. These rain rates are overlaid on infrared data from the TRMM Visible Infrared Scanner to form a complete picture of the rainfall in a storm or storm system.
A three-dimensional image show is created from data collected from the TRMM's PR. The 3-D image shows the vertical structure or height of the thunderstorms: the higher the cloud tops go, the stronger the storm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date