Remake Ordered by NBC for 'The Munsters'
By Diadem Pambid | November 18, 2011 3:13 PM EST
With so many adaptations poised for the small screen on the next few years, it's only a matter of time before someone picked up The Munsters - which NBC did.
For those who don't know what this show is, 'The Munsters' is a 60's sitcom that centers around the life of the Munsters, a monster family. The odd family, despite their obvious difference from the rest of the community, tries to live like typical working-class Americans.
This remake will be written and executive produced by Bryan Fuller. The new show is expected to be "have a darker and less campy feel" than the original. He first pitched in the idea last year, but the network passed.
It is notable that Fuller conceived ABC's 'Pushing Daisies', whose pilot won the Emmys four years ago. If he keeps the same imagination that propelled the show to success, there might just a hope for 'The Munsters'.
The Hollywood Reporter adds that NBC is also planning in turning it into a "visually spectacular one-hour drama". It will delve deeper into the origins of the Munster family, and their eventual journey to their present home of 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
No further plans for the series were announced, although an early order of the pilot could signify a summer or fall 2012 premiere.
The 1960s CBS show's release coincided back then with the similarly-themed 'The Addams Family', but with less ratings. It was cancelled two years later with a total of 70 episode.
However, the black-and-white romp gained a cult following after decades of syndication, which eventually spawned a spin-off series ('The Munsters Today' in the 80s) and several films (including 'Munster, Go Home' and 'The Munsters' Revenge').
'Munsters' is just one of the three projects that peacock network's going to re-imagine for primetime TV. Fuller is also cooking up a 'Hannibal Lecter' series which will base more on the Thomas Harris novels, while 'House' producers Garrett Lerner and Russel Friend are developing the nth re-working of the literary classic 'Frankenstein'.
It is always a gamble to produce a remake rather than put out an entirely original series, which rests on how the remake measures up or improves the original. Recently, ABC's modernization of 'Charlie's Angels' was criticized heavily for bad acting and writing, thereby cancelling the series after only 4 episodes.
Hopefully, that won't be the case with 'The Munsters'.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop