Global Warming to Blame for Extreme Weather: 5 Examples of Bizarre Weather in 2011
By Ranina Sanglap | November 3, 2011 10:19 AM EST
A report from top climate scientists warns that such extreme weather like heat waves, floods and droughts will continue to trouble the world and disasters could become even more severe in the next few years.
The report from the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) will focus on extreme weather phenomenon that has decimated towns and killed thousands of people around the world.
"This is the largest effort that has ever been made to assess how extremes are changing," said Neville Nicholls, a professor at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, and a coordinating lead author of one of the review's key chapters.
The draft summary of the report, obtained by the Associated Press, says that climate extremes have worsened because of man-made greenhouse gases. The report concludes that the frequency and magnitude of hot days will increase over the 21st century. It is very likely that heat waves will continue to increase over most land areas. Peak temperatures are likely to increase to 3.0 degrees Celsius by 2050 and 5.0 C by 2100. Droughts will intensify in parts of the globe like North America, northeastern Brazil and southern Africa.
As the world becomes hotter there will also be an upswing in rainfall and snowfall. Heavy rain will increase in the tropics. The warming seas will give cyclones more destructive power. Melting glaciers will trigger more landslides. Researchers have also predicted more intense monsoons with climate change. Warmer air can hold more water and impart more energy to weather systems, changing the dynamics of storms and where and how they hit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes