Will Smith: An 'Independence Day' Sequel?
By Mateo Fabregas | October 28, 2011 3:30 PM EST
There's talk circulating in the industry that they'll be making a sequel to the 1996 alien brain-crushing "Independence Day." Well, the rumors are true. They are going to be making, not one but two installments of the film. But don't get too excited there, E.T. fans, for they're not shooting them anytime soon.
Given recent studio obsessions with the 3D technology, there's no doubt that these films are going to be in production and they also might be in 3D. 20th Century Fox is rumoured to develop the film back-to-back, with both films having Will Smith in the lead and original director Roland Emmerich also on board. This might be another recipe for success for the duo, but there's still no talk whether the old cast members are going to be involved though.
We have yet to see if all this talk will materialize into something tangible, and if Smith decides not to join in the sequels then I highly doubt that anyone would want to direct the film. Everyone is expecting Smith to reprise his role as Capt. Steven Hiller, but if he doesn't, maybe Chris Tucker can do the job.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People