ASX Trading Halted Due to Glitch
By Esther Thomas | October 27, 2011 12:12 PM EST
Thursday's trading session at the Australian Securities Exchange floor has been closed indefinitely because of a technical glitch.
As of 11:33am, thousands of trades were placed under review due to technical problems. Australian Securities Exchange Ltd. general manager for media and communications Matthew Gibbs said in the Herald Sun the market was halted at 10:05am after the technical issue was detected.
The market has been placed in "enquire mode," which means that participants can't enter trades into the Australian Securities Exchange platform, according to Sky News Business.
Some 6,700 trades have already been through at today's opening session before the glitch attacked the platform that eventually suspended all trading activities.
The Australian Securities Exchange is currently investigating the cause of the technical malfunction. Gibbs said the exchange will resolve the problem as soon as possible but there would be no more trading until everything has been fixed.
The benchmark S&P/ASX200 index was halted after falling 0.3 points to 4242.2, while the broader All Ordinaries index was down 0.1 points at 4300.7.
By 10:35am on the ASX 24, the December share price index futures contract was down five points at 4217, with 9369 contracts traded.
The last time the Australian Securities Exchange encountered a similar technical problem was back in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports