ASX Trading Halted Due to Glitch
By Esther Thomas | October 27, 2011 12:12 PM EST
Thursday's trading session at the Australian Securities Exchange floor has been closed indefinitely because of a technical glitch.
As of 11:33am, thousands of trades were placed under review due to technical problems. Australian Securities Exchange Ltd. general manager for media and communications Matthew Gibbs said in the Herald Sun the market was halted at 10:05am after the technical issue was detected.
The market has been placed in "enquire mode," which means that participants can't enter trades into the Australian Securities Exchange platform, according to Sky News Business.
Some 6,700 trades have already been through at today's opening session before the glitch attacked the platform that eventually suspended all trading activities.
The Australian Securities Exchange is currently investigating the cause of the technical malfunction. Gibbs said the exchange will resolve the problem as soon as possible but there would be no more trading until everything has been fixed.
The benchmark S&P/ASX200 index was halted after falling 0.3 points to 4242.2, while the broader All Ordinaries index was down 0.1 points at 4300.7.
By 10:35am on the ASX 24, the December share price index futures contract was down five points at 4217, with 9369 contracts traded.
The last time the Australian Securities Exchange encountered a similar technical problem was back in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]