ANZ acquires RBS in Singapore
May 17, 2010 4:44 PM EST
Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. (ANZ) announced the completion of its acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland PLC's (RBS) retail and commercial businesses in Singapore as it officially opens its Singapore branches today.
ANZ said it has rebranded five RBS branches and 19 ATMS. It has moved customers and staff to ANZ with minimal disruption.
In August last year, ANZ agreed to pay $687 million for RBS's Asian assets, saying they would boost the bank's operating income by about five per cent. The proposed acquisition gained regulatory approval last March.
"ANZ is now a leading international bank in Singapore with more than 300,000 customers and strong positions in retail banking, wealth management, private banking, commercial and institutional banking," Asia Pacific, Europe and America chief executive Alex Thursby said.
With the deal, ANZ expands its growing presence in Asia Pacific region. ANZ has purchased RBS assets in the Philippines, Vietnam, Hongkong and Taiwan.
In August 2009, ANZ announced it has agreed to acquire the banking assets of RBS in six Asian countries, as part of its strategy to become a super regional bank and to counter slowing growth in its domestic market.
ANZ predominantly services Australian and New Zealand customers, but is steadily building on its presence in the Asia-Pacific. It is one of the Big Four banks in Australia and is the largest bank in New Zealand. ANZ provides banking and financial products and services to its more than six million customers, including business, corporate and institutional clients.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?