ANZ acquires RBS in Singapore
May 17, 2010 4:44 PM EST
Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. (ANZ) announced the completion of its acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland PLC's (RBS) retail and commercial businesses in Singapore as it officially opens its Singapore branches today.
ANZ said it has rebranded five RBS branches and 19 ATMS. It has moved customers and staff to ANZ with minimal disruption.
In August last year, ANZ agreed to pay $687 million for RBS's Asian assets, saying they would boost the bank's operating income by about five per cent. The proposed acquisition gained regulatory approval last March.
"ANZ is now a leading international bank in Singapore with more than 300,000 customers and strong positions in retail banking, wealth management, private banking, commercial and institutional banking," Asia Pacific, Europe and America chief executive Alex Thursby said.
With the deal, ANZ expands its growing presence in Asia Pacific region. ANZ has purchased RBS assets in the Philippines, Vietnam, Hongkong and Taiwan.
In August 2009, ANZ announced it has agreed to acquire the banking assets of RBS in six Asian countries, as part of its strategy to become a super regional bank and to counter slowing growth in its domestic market.
ANZ predominantly services Australian and New Zealand customers, but is steadily building on its presence in the Asia-Pacific. It is one of the Big Four banks in Australia and is the largest bank in New Zealand. ANZ provides banking and financial products and services to its more than six million customers, including business, corporate and institutional clients.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged