ANZ acquires RBS in Singapore
May 17, 2010 4:44 PM EST
Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. (ANZ) announced the completion of its acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland PLC's (RBS) retail and commercial businesses in Singapore as it officially opens its Singapore branches today.
ANZ said it has rebranded five RBS branches and 19 ATMS. It has moved customers and staff to ANZ with minimal disruption.
In August last year, ANZ agreed to pay $687 million for RBS's Asian assets, saying they would boost the bank's operating income by about five per cent. The proposed acquisition gained regulatory approval last March.
"ANZ is now a leading international bank in Singapore with more than 300,000 customers and strong positions in retail banking, wealth management, private banking, commercial and institutional banking," Asia Pacific, Europe and America chief executive Alex Thursby said.
With the deal, ANZ expands its growing presence in Asia Pacific region. ANZ has purchased RBS assets in the Philippines, Vietnam, Hongkong and Taiwan.
In August 2009, ANZ announced it has agreed to acquire the banking assets of RBS in six Asian countries, as part of its strategy to become a super regional bank and to counter slowing growth in its domestic market.
ANZ predominantly services Australian and New Zealand customers, but is steadily building on its presence in the Asia-Pacific. It is one of the Big Four banks in Australia and is the largest bank in New Zealand. ANZ provides banking and financial products and services to its more than six million customers, including business, corporate and institutional clients.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family