Rare White Wombat Rescued in Australia
By Karen Mae Cordon | October 26, 2011 6:02 PM EST
A rare type of white wombat, rescued in Ceduna, Australia, was able to recover and regain its health back. The baby wombat was found a month ago near the town. He was alone and in a very poor condition – exhausted, dehydrated, and almost dying.
Wildlife rescuer Val Salmon took care of the rare type of southern hairy nose wombat. He was named Polar because he looks more like a polar bear than an actual wombat.
Salmon has been rescuing and taking care of wombats for about 4 decade.
“I’ve been looking after wombats for nearly 40 years, and he’s the third white one that’s come into my care. And, yes, he’s very rare,” according to Salmon when she was interviewed by the local media.
Polar was really ill when he was found but after a month, Salmon was able to take care of him well and bring him back to his normal phase.
"He's going to be used for educational purposes, maybe in a breeding program later on," says Salmon to Yahoo News Australia.
"But at this stage, we just want to get him nice and fit and healthy."
A typical wombat can be silver-grey, glossy black, dark-grey, grey-brown, chocolate brown, or cream. And wombats with white coats are the rarest. There are also some cases of albinism reported in wombats.
But from his appearance, Polar is not an albino but a rare type of white wombat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS