Rare White Wombat Rescued in Australia
By Karen Mae Cordon | October 26, 2011 6:02 PM EST
A rare type of white wombat, rescued in Ceduna, Australia, was able to recover and regain its health back. The baby wombat was found a month ago near the town. He was alone and in a very poor condition – exhausted, dehydrated, and almost dying.
Wildlife rescuer Val Salmon took care of the rare type of southern hairy nose wombat. He was named Polar because he looks more like a polar bear than an actual wombat.
Salmon has been rescuing and taking care of wombats for about 4 decade.
“I’ve been looking after wombats for nearly 40 years, and he’s the third white one that’s come into my care. And, yes, he’s very rare,” according to Salmon when she was interviewed by the local media.
Polar was really ill when he was found but after a month, Salmon was able to take care of him well and bring him back to his normal phase.
"He's going to be used for educational purposes, maybe in a breeding program later on," says Salmon to Yahoo News Australia.
"But at this stage, we just want to get him nice and fit and healthy."
A typical wombat can be silver-grey, glossy black, dark-grey, grey-brown, chocolate brown, or cream. And wombats with white coats are the rarest. There are also some cases of albinism reported in wombats.
But from his appearance, Polar is not an albino but a rare type of white wombat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop