Rare White Wombat Rescued in Australia
By Karen Mae Cordon | October 26, 2011 6:02 PM EST
A rare type of white wombat, rescued in Ceduna, Australia, was able to recover and regain its health back. The baby wombat was found a month ago near the town. He was alone and in a very poor condition – exhausted, dehydrated, and almost dying.
Wildlife rescuer Val Salmon took care of the rare type of southern hairy nose wombat. He was named Polar because he looks more like a polar bear than an actual wombat.
Salmon has been rescuing and taking care of wombats for about 4 decade.
“I’ve been looking after wombats for nearly 40 years, and he’s the third white one that’s come into my care. And, yes, he’s very rare,” according to Salmon when she was interviewed by the local media.
Polar was really ill when he was found but after a month, Salmon was able to take care of him well and bring him back to his normal phase.
"He's going to be used for educational purposes, maybe in a breeding program later on," says Salmon to Yahoo News Australia.
"But at this stage, we just want to get him nice and fit and healthy."
A typical wombat can be silver-grey, glossy black, dark-grey, grey-brown, chocolate brown, or cream. And wombats with white coats are the rarest. There are also some cases of albinism reported in wombats.
But from his appearance, Polar is not an albino but a rare type of white wombat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter