Rare White Wombat Rescued in Australia
By Karen Mae Cordon | October 26, 2011 6:02 PM EST
A rare type of white wombat, rescued in Ceduna, Australia, was able to recover and regain its health back. The baby wombat was found a month ago near the town. He was alone and in a very poor condition – exhausted, dehydrated, and almost dying.
Wildlife rescuer Val Salmon took care of the rare type of southern hairy nose wombat. He was named Polar because he looks more like a polar bear than an actual wombat.
Salmon has been rescuing and taking care of wombats for about 4 decade.
“I’ve been looking after wombats for nearly 40 years, and he’s the third white one that’s come into my care. And, yes, he’s very rare,” according to Salmon when she was interviewed by the local media.
Polar was really ill when he was found but after a month, Salmon was able to take care of him well and bring him back to his normal phase.
"He's going to be used for educational purposes, maybe in a breeding program later on," says Salmon to Yahoo News Australia.
"But at this stage, we just want to get him nice and fit and healthy."
A typical wombat can be silver-grey, glossy black, dark-grey, grey-brown, chocolate brown, or cream. And wombats with white coats are the rarest. There are also some cases of albinism reported in wombats.
But from his appearance, Polar is not an albino but a rare type of white wombat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best