A Gut Feeling When it Comes to Being Hungry; Appetite Hormones Found
By Lord Jorrel P. | October 26, 2011 1:19 PM EST
Ever hear of the expression "follow your gut feeling?" As it turns out, scientists have found a way to literally follow what your gut is feeling.
With obesity is an increasing problem, the simple thing to do is to watch what we eat and reduce it. But that may be easier said than done.
Waljit Dhilio, from the Imperial College, said that as lunchtime approaches, our brains get excited in anticipation of the meal. After eating, the same foods that seemed so tempting to us at the beginning because of hunger lose their sway.
This made the scientists study two gut hormones - peptide YY and glucagon-like peptide 1 - that play key roles in the feeling of being full, both of which are released into the body after we eat.
Based on their study, people who were given one or both of the hormones were found to have reduced food intake and appetite.
To find out what those hormones do to the brain, Dhilio's team of scientists, along with GlaxoSmithKline, measured the brain activity of healthy people who were given the hormones while fasting. They then compared the brain activity of those who were given hormones when full from eating a meal.
"Participants had eaten no breakfast, but the pattern of their brain activity looked as if they had," said Dhilio.
"Their brain was tricked and they subsequently ate less of a buffet meal."
Dhilio explained that after a meal, people's brains responded less to images of food in regions related to food reward, and they ate less. The same thing happened to the brains and behaviors of the hungry people who were given the two hormones.
Through these findings, they concluded that the two hormones can reduce appetite. Scientists hope that it can lead to a useful treatment for obesity in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'