A Gut Feeling When it Comes to Being Hungry; Appetite Hormones Found
By Lord Jorrel P. | October 26, 2011 1:19 PM EST
Ever hear of the expression "follow your gut feeling?" As it turns out, scientists have found a way to literally follow what your gut is feeling.
With obesity is an increasing problem, the simple thing to do is to watch what we eat and reduce it. But that may be easier said than done.
Waljit Dhilio, from the Imperial College, said that as lunchtime approaches, our brains get excited in anticipation of the meal. After eating, the same foods that seemed so tempting to us at the beginning because of hunger lose their sway.
This made the scientists study two gut hormones - peptide YY and glucagon-like peptide 1 - that play key roles in the feeling of being full, both of which are released into the body after we eat.
Based on their study, people who were given one or both of the hormones were found to have reduced food intake and appetite.
To find out what those hormones do to the brain, Dhilio's team of scientists, along with GlaxoSmithKline, measured the brain activity of healthy people who were given the hormones while fasting. They then compared the brain activity of those who were given hormones when full from eating a meal.
"Participants had eaten no breakfast, but the pattern of their brain activity looked as if they had," said Dhilio.
"Their brain was tricked and they subsequently ate less of a buffet meal."
Dhilio explained that after a meal, people's brains responded less to images of food in regions related to food reward, and they ate less. The same thing happened to the brains and behaviors of the hungry people who were given the two hormones.
Through these findings, they concluded that the two hormones can reduce appetite. Scientists hope that it can lead to a useful treatment for obesity in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales