China’s Interest in the Moon Linked to Mineral Mining Exploration
By Genalyn.C | October 21, 2011 1:54 PM EST
China is on the course to becoming the world's space superpower. Experts has expressed concerned that China is slowly building towards space profieciency, with rumors that it might soon conquer the moon.
China's rumored interest in the Moon could be due to the moon's abundance of helium-3 to be used as fuel for nuclear fusion, while the moon's raw materials could be turned into the water, oxygen, building materials and rocket fuel needed for human space exploration. At present, China is one of the world's largest importers of metals.
Billionaire space executive Robert Bigelow believes that this trend could lead to China's lunar takeover in the 2022-2026 time frame. Bigelow made the prediction at the International Symposium for Personal and Commercial Spaceflight in Las Cruces, N. M.
He noted that China is progressing along a slow, steady path toward space proficiency. This can be shown by China's space programs that include follow-ups to the Shenzhou 8 spacewalk mission in 2008, the unmanned Chang's lunar missions and last month's Tiangong 1 space lab launch.
And because China will have plenty of cash for great leaps forward in space, it can possibly surpass the U.S. which is presently beset by higher debt and tighter budgets.
However, Dean Cheng, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation tried to downplay the scenario.
"I think it is a little bit of a stretch to think about whether the Chinese will be laying claim to the moon," he said, although he admitted that Chinese were clearly interested in lunar exploration.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]