China’s Interest in the Moon Linked to Mineral Mining Exploration
By Genalyn.C | October 21, 2011 1:54 PM EST
China is on the course to becoming the world's space superpower. Experts has expressed concerned that China is slowly building towards space profieciency, with rumors that it might soon conquer the moon.
China's rumored interest in the Moon could be due to the moon's abundance of helium-3 to be used as fuel for nuclear fusion, while the moon's raw materials could be turned into the water, oxygen, building materials and rocket fuel needed for human space exploration. At present, China is one of the world's largest importers of metals.
Billionaire space executive Robert Bigelow believes that this trend could lead to China's lunar takeover in the 2022-2026 time frame. Bigelow made the prediction at the International Symposium for Personal and Commercial Spaceflight in Las Cruces, N. M.
He noted that China is progressing along a slow, steady path toward space proficiency. This can be shown by China's space programs that include follow-ups to the Shenzhou 8 spacewalk mission in 2008, the unmanned Chang's lunar missions and last month's Tiangong 1 space lab launch.
And because China will have plenty of cash for great leaps forward in space, it can possibly surpass the U.S. which is presently beset by higher debt and tighter budgets.
However, Dean Cheng, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation tried to downplay the scenario.
"I think it is a little bit of a stretch to think about whether the Chinese will be laying claim to the moon," he said, although he admitted that Chinese were clearly interested in lunar exploration.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Bendable Galaxy S6 Release in 2015 Possible as Samsung Reveals Plans
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports