China’s Interest in the Moon Linked to Mineral Mining Exploration
By Genalyn.C | October 21, 2011 1:54 PM EST
China is on the course to becoming the world's space superpower. Experts has expressed concerned that China is slowly building towards space profieciency, with rumors that it might soon conquer the moon.
China's rumored interest in the Moon could be due to the moon's abundance of helium-3 to be used as fuel for nuclear fusion, while the moon's raw materials could be turned into the water, oxygen, building materials and rocket fuel needed for human space exploration. At present, China is one of the world's largest importers of metals.
Billionaire space executive Robert Bigelow believes that this trend could lead to China's lunar takeover in the 2022-2026 time frame. Bigelow made the prediction at the International Symposium for Personal and Commercial Spaceflight in Las Cruces, N. M.
He noted that China is progressing along a slow, steady path toward space proficiency. This can be shown by China's space programs that include follow-ups to the Shenzhou 8 spacewalk mission in 2008, the unmanned Chang's lunar missions and last month's Tiangong 1 space lab launch.
And because China will have plenty of cash for great leaps forward in space, it can possibly surpass the U.S. which is presently beset by higher debt and tighter budgets.
However, Dean Cheng, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation tried to downplay the scenario.
"I think it is a little bit of a stretch to think about whether the Chinese will be laying claim to the moon," he said, although he admitted that Chinese were clearly interested in lunar exploration.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide