New Satellite to Help Predict Weather and Climate Changes
By Genalyn.C | October 13, 2011 4:54 PM EST
NASA is soon launching a new satellite that will help computers predict future environmental conditions and produce more accurate weather forecasts and warnings.
The National Polar-Orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System Preparatory Project, slated for launch on Oct. 27, is the first mission designed to collect critical data to improve weather forecasts and increase understanding of climate change.
The data will be useful for emergency responders in anticipating, monitoring and reacting to many types of natural disasters.
Using data from instruments, including four new state-of-the-art sensors, scientists will be able to correlate the 30 key data records that have previously been collected by several Earth-observing satellites, such as ozone layer, land and sea ice coverage and atmospheric temperatures, to understand and predict changes in global climate.
According to Jim Gleason, project scientist, data from the satellite will give scientists a bigger picture of global changes. This will in turn help them improve the computer models that predict future environmental conditions.
"Better predictions will let us make better decisions, whether it is as simple as taking an umbrella to work today or as complex as responding to a changing climate," Gleason said.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will use the data to produce forecasts and warnings that will help emergency responders to anticipate and plan for natural disaster.
Louis W. Uccellini, director of NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Prediction said that with the many weather disasters this year, the launch could hardly be more timely.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6