Shakira Performs in the Opening of the Euro 2012 Stadium in Ukraine
By Bethany Basis | October 12, 2011 12:38 AM EST
Pop icon Shakira starred in the opening of the Euro 2012 Olympiysky stadium in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. The President of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovych, was also present in the inauguration ceremony.
Shakira was chosen as the performer to open the event in order to carry on with the South Africa World Cup 2010 fever that she has stirred up with her single, 'Waka Waka'. The famous singer of Hips Don't Lie performed for 40 minutes with her other songs and various renditions of popular songs as well.
Shakira was just one of the many artists that have joined forces for the opening of the Euro 2012 Olympiysky stadium in Kiev. The night was filled with cultural performances from local artists to feature the colorful and vibrant Ukraine folklore and traditions.
The 70,000-seater stadium is going to be the central attraction in the finals of the Euro 2012 football championships. The stadium was reconstructed from its former Soviet age look back in the years 1937 to 1941 and has been created to be one of the most important milestones in the history of Ukraine, most especially that it is the first time that the country is going to host the sports event.
"The reconstruction and opening of the stadium demonstrates to the whole world that we can have business in the Ukraine," said the President of Ukraine.
Mr. Yanukovych has been proud with the latest achievement of his country as has expressed his excitement with the rest of the guests and audience during the elaborate opening ceremony. There were previous concerns on the completion of the stadium however; all the facilities were finished just in time.
The government of Ukraine as well as the UEFA have spent over 585 million euros for the renovation of the stadium for the very special Euro 2012 event.
The people of Ukraine are hoping that the Euro 2012, along with the renovation and construction of all the other facilities in and around Kiev, will boost tourism in the country and enhance the image of the former Soviet Union territory.
Ukraine is in partnership with Poland in the hosting of Euro 2012 matches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers