Shakira Performs in the Opening of the Euro 2012 Stadium in Ukraine
By Bethany Basis | October 12, 2011 12:38 AM EST
Pop icon Shakira starred in the opening of the Euro 2012 Olympiysky stadium in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. The President of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovych, was also present in the inauguration ceremony.
Shakira was chosen as the performer to open the event in order to carry on with the South Africa World Cup 2010 fever that she has stirred up with her single, 'Waka Waka'. The famous singer of Hips Don't Lie performed for 40 minutes with her other songs and various renditions of popular songs as well.
Shakira was just one of the many artists that have joined forces for the opening of the Euro 2012 Olympiysky stadium in Kiev. The night was filled with cultural performances from local artists to feature the colorful and vibrant Ukraine folklore and traditions.
The 70,000-seater stadium is going to be the central attraction in the finals of the Euro 2012 football championships. The stadium was reconstructed from its former Soviet age look back in the years 1937 to 1941 and has been created to be one of the most important milestones in the history of Ukraine, most especially that it is the first time that the country is going to host the sports event.
"The reconstruction and opening of the stadium demonstrates to the whole world that we can have business in the Ukraine," said the President of Ukraine.
Mr. Yanukovych has been proud with the latest achievement of his country as has expressed his excitement with the rest of the guests and audience during the elaborate opening ceremony. There were previous concerns on the completion of the stadium however; all the facilities were finished just in time.
The government of Ukraine as well as the UEFA have spent over 585 million euros for the renovation of the stadium for the very special Euro 2012 event.
The people of Ukraine are hoping that the Euro 2012, along with the renovation and construction of all the other facilities in and around Kiev, will boost tourism in the country and enhance the image of the former Soviet Union territory.
Ukraine is in partnership with Poland in the hosting of Euro 2012 matches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report