Gay Marriage Advocates to Meet MPs in Canberra
October 11, 2011 5:01 PM EST
About 60 Marriage Equality representatives from around Australia will travel to Canberra on Wednesday to meet with more than 40 MPs to discuss with Parliamentarians on both sides of the house how marriage equality affects their lives, and the lives of their family and friends.
Aged between 9 and 91 years, people are coming from every Australian state and territory, and will share their family's story with various MPs and Senators from all parties throughout the day.
"Marriage Equality is an issue about fairness, equality, and families. Tomorrow we will show Canberra the positive impact this reform would have on Australians from all ages and backgrounds, from coast to coast,” Alex Greenwich, campaign coordinator, said.
Since the Tasmanian lower house became the first in Australia to formally support same-sex marriage with its historical vote last month, support for marriage equality has been rapidly gaining momentum on the mainland.
On Saturday, the Victorian ALP State Conference voted to support a policy shift at next month’s National Conference in favour of marriage equality.
Declaring his support for marriage equality, leading Australian rugby player and committed Christian, David Pocock, said on Saturday that he and his female partner will not marry until their gay friends have the same right to wed.
Outgoing South Australian Premier Mike Rann announced on Sunday that he supports marriage equality in Australia, and called on the Federal Government to address marriage discrimination. In a rare event, South Australian Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond agreed with the Premier, saying she too supports marriage equality.
MPs involved in meetings include Tony Abbott, Julie Bishop, Wayne Swan and Kevin Rudd.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools