Breeding Corruption: Why Leaders with ‘Alpha’ Personalities are Chosen
By Anne Witter | October 11, 2011 3:33 PM EST
Selfish and aggressive behaviour draws important leadership roles to a person, while generosity and kindness are seen as signs of weakness, a new study has found.
Study co-author Robert Livingston of the Kellogg School said this tendency to associate aggression with leadership shows why nations get caught in corruption.
The study, from the Kellogg School of Management, Stanford Graduate School of Business and Carnegie Mellon University's Tepper School of Business, explored the personality types usually associated with leadership.
Researchers analysed participants in groups, as they managed tokens representing money. Some decided on keeping the tokens for themselves, while others contributed them to a group pool.
The results showed that those who were more generous gained popularity in the groups, but they were also considered weak or gullible and therefore unfit for a leadership role.
Participants who chose to keep the tokens just for themselves were seen as 'alpha' personalities.
"As humans we are wired to respond to dominance," Livingston told Today.com.
"Being selfish makes you seem more dominant and being dominant makes you seem more attractive as a leader, especially when there's competition... On a subconscious level this is the conclusion people are coming to: Kindness equals weakness," Livingston said, adding, "People who are more likely to be moral, kind and pro-social are least likely to be elected to these leadership roles."
"That increases the likelihood of corruption and malfeasance because we've got the wrong people in positions of leadership," Livingston further analysed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]