New Particle Smasher to be Built in “Science City”
By Genalyn.C | October 10, 2011 1:02 PM EST
A new "science city" may soon emerge with the creation of the International Linear Collider, a new multi-billion dollar particle smasher.
However, still to be decided is where this "dream machine" will be built. Prospects include Japan which made clear its interest to house the ILC, China and Russia. The United States, which is an unlikely site, has said that they can take up to 25 percent of the cost.
The science city can provide hundreds of jobs to the host country.
The ILC was the focus of the discussion of scientists and heads of major research centers during a four day gathering at CERN near Geneva. Organized by the International Committee for Future Accelerators or ICFA, the group's main concern was on how to combine resources and funding for the project.
The meeting came during the aftermath of the closure of the world's first major accelerator, the U.S. Fermilab's Tevatron last week after 26 years in operation, passing the baton to CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
In a statement, the organizers said that "the science of particle physics has reached a decisive moment. Experiments at particle accelerators, together with observations of the cosmos, bring unprecedented opportunities for discovery."
A design team was appointed in 2005 for the ILC and the team is due to report the outline plan by the end of 2012. Construction may follow in 5 to 8 years. Estimated to cost around $6 billion, ICFA is now planning on how to draw in countries for a collaboration on the building and use of high-energy physics accelerators.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date