Killer Sharks Live and Breed in Brisbane Golf Course
By Anne Witter | October 10, 2011 1:01 PM EST
The world's first shark-infested course is in Brisbane.
SkyNews reported half a dozen man-eating bullsharks are thriving and breeding in the lake in the centre of Brisbane's Carbrook Golf Club. Sharks' fins poking through the water have become a regular sight in the lake, drawing different reactions from golfers.
It has become a habit for golfers to pause for a few minutes during games to check the lake for fins circling in the water. News of the sharks have spread in the city, making way for the concept of a monthly tournament called the "Shark Lake Challenge."
A river broke its banks during a big flood some years ago, streaming the sharks onto the Queensland golf course, in which they have become stranded.
"You can't believe how close you are...just six feet away," club general manager Scott Wagstaff told SkyNews.
"There's no drama, it's become a positive thing for the golf course. They are amazing. I've become a shark lover since working here."
Wagstaff is also feeding the sharks with meat on top of the fish in the lake.
"I'm sure they are aggressive when you are in the water but when you are out here feeding them they are beautiful to watch," he told Sky News.
The sharks are reported to be between 8 and 10ft long. They have become an attraction at corporate events, with their fins becoming an anticipated sight even during wedding ceremonies on the course.
SkyNews said local children used to jump in the lake to retrieve lost golf balls for extra pocket money, but they will not be seen doing that again anytime soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How