Steve Jobs Dead: Biography Sales Soar Overnight
By Peggy Truong | October 7, 2011 12:32 AM EST
As news of Steve Jobs' passing traveled around the world by way of his inventions and gadgets, sales of his upcoming biography soared just as fast.
Three other books about Jobs is on Amazon's top 10, including "I, Steve: Steve Jobs in His Own Words" by George Beahm, a book based on more than 200 quotations from the former Apple CEO.
Jobs died at the age of 56 on Wednesday evening in Palo Alto, Calif., following a long battle with cancer.
"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," Apple also said in a statement.
"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve," the company added.
The Isaacson book, spanning 656 pages long, is the first authorized biography of Jobs, who founded Apple in 1976 with childhood friend Steve Wozniak.
In 2005, John Wiley & Sons released an unauthorized biography of Jobs, titled "iCon: Steve Jobs, The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business." In response, Jobs banned the book, along with all Wiley & Sons publications, from Apple retail stores.
"Steve Jobs" is based on more than 40 interviews with Jobs, as well as interviews with family members, friends, competitors and colleagues, according to publisher Simon & Schuster. On Thursday, the publishing company bumped the release date from Nov. 21 to Oct. 24, in the wake of Jobs' death.
"Driven by demons, Jobs could drive those around him to fury and despair. But his personality and products were interrelated, just as Apple's hardware and software tended to be, as if part of an integrated system," the preview reads.
Isaacson is the same writer responsible for the bestselling biographies on Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and Henry Kissinger.
Jobs is survived by his wife Laurene and their four children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James