Japan's All Nippon Airways Nearly Flips Over Mid-Air Due to Pilot Error
September 30, 2011 9:49 AM EST
The All Nippon Airways Co. (ANA) issued a public apology on Wednesday over a near-accident involving one of its passenger planes on Sept. 6 because a pilot pressed the rudder trim control button instead of the one unlocking the cockpit door causing the plane to nearly flip over.
ANA Senior Executive Vice President Shin Nagase made the apology and bowed deeply in front of TV cameras in a gesture of regret during a news conference after the Japan Transport Safety Board released its investigative report on the incident that hurt two flight attendants. The press conference to make the apology followed the welcome party for the delivery of ANA's first Boeing Co. 787 Dreamliner jets.
The safety board found that the 38-year-old co-pilot of the Boeing 737-700 taking 117 people from Naha in Okinawa to Tokyo was supposed to open the cockpit door so his co-pilot could enter after using the toilet. But the co-pilot apparently hit the wrong button and "the plane tipped more than 130 degrees to the left at one point and dived about 1,900 meters in 30 seconds," according to The Wall Street Journal.
The pilots quickly stabilized the plane and landed it safely in Tokyo.
Aside from hurting two flight attendants, some passengers got air sick or suffered neck pains, though they were unaware of what happened because it was dark outside. The incident occurred at 10:50 p.m.
ANA promised to avoid the same mistake by requiring pilots to double check the position of control buttons when leaving and returning to the cockpit.
The board is continuing its investigation of the incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Conspiracy To Withhold Full Cargo Manifest Still Alight
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop