Lack of Sleep Linked to Diabetes in Overweight Teens
By Lenina C. | September 22, 2011 3:55 PM EST
Obese teenagers are more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes if they do not get enough sleep, a new U.S. study suggests.
"Our study found to keep glucose levels stable, the optimal amount of sleep for teenagers is 7.5 to 8.5 hours per night," said Dr. Dorit Koren, the chief investigator.
The study, published in the journal Diabetes Care, was conducted at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and involved 62 obese teenagers as subjects. The teens were subjected to a series of glucose tests and an overnight sleep study. The researchers also tried to observe stages of sleep like rapid eye movement and slow-wave deep sleep.
Inadequate sleep and excessive sleep can both be associated with high glucose production, according to Koran. There were no signs that different stages of sleep trigger more production of glucose, but there was an association of deep sleep with decreased secretion of insulin.
"Reduced insulin secretion may lead to higher glucose levels than we found in subjects who had in sufficient sleep," Koren said. Further investigation will be done of the sleep patterns of obese adolescents.
Diet and exercise remain vital to controlling weight and preventing diabetes, but now sleep can be added to the prescription.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Coffee Before A Nap Improves Brain Alertness
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged