Lack of Sleep Linked to Diabetes in Overweight Teens
By Lenina C. | September 22, 2011 3:55 PM EST
Obese teenagers are more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes if they do not get enough sleep, a new U.S. study suggests.
"Our study found to keep glucose levels stable, the optimal amount of sleep for teenagers is 7.5 to 8.5 hours per night," said Dr. Dorit Koren, the chief investigator.
The study, published in the journal Diabetes Care, was conducted at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and involved 62 obese teenagers as subjects. The teens were subjected to a series of glucose tests and an overnight sleep study. The researchers also tried to observe stages of sleep like rapid eye movement and slow-wave deep sleep.
Inadequate sleep and excessive sleep can both be associated with high glucose production, according to Koran. There were no signs that different stages of sleep trigger more production of glucose, but there was an association of deep sleep with decreased secretion of insulin.
"Reduced insulin secretion may lead to higher glucose levels than we found in subjects who had in sufficient sleep," Koren said. Further investigation will be done of the sleep patterns of obese adolescents.
Diet and exercise remain vital to controlling weight and preventing diabetes, but now sleep can be added to the prescription.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Girl Gives Free Testicle Exams On International Men’s Day For Charity, Simple Pickup Donates To Movember
- Movember Ends With Shave-Off
- Viral 'Do They Know Its Christmas?' Video With Ed Sheeran, One Direction, Sam Smith Raises $1.5 Million For Ebola In Minutes
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft