Lack of Sleep Linked to Diabetes in Overweight Teens
By Lenina C. | September 22, 2011 3:55 PM EST
Obese teenagers are more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes if they do not get enough sleep, a new U.S. study suggests.
"Our study found to keep glucose levels stable, the optimal amount of sleep for teenagers is 7.5 to 8.5 hours per night," said Dr. Dorit Koren, the chief investigator.
The study, published in the journal Diabetes Care, was conducted at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and involved 62 obese teenagers as subjects. The teens were subjected to a series of glucose tests and an overnight sleep study. The researchers also tried to observe stages of sleep like rapid eye movement and slow-wave deep sleep.
Inadequate sleep and excessive sleep can both be associated with high glucose production, according to Koran. There were no signs that different stages of sleep trigger more production of glucose, but there was an association of deep sleep with decreased secretion of insulin.
"Reduced insulin secretion may lead to higher glucose levels than we found in subjects who had in sufficient sleep," Koren said. Further investigation will be done of the sleep patterns of obese adolescents.
Diet and exercise remain vital to controlling weight and preventing diabetes, but now sleep can be added to the prescription.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks