Lack of Sleep Linked to Diabetes in Overweight Teens
By Lenina C. | September 22, 2011 3:55 PM EST
Obese teenagers are more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes if they do not get enough sleep, a new U.S. study suggests.
"Our study found to keep glucose levels stable, the optimal amount of sleep for teenagers is 7.5 to 8.5 hours per night," said Dr. Dorit Koren, the chief investigator.
The study, published in the journal Diabetes Care, was conducted at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and involved 62 obese teenagers as subjects. The teens were subjected to a series of glucose tests and an overnight sleep study. The researchers also tried to observe stages of sleep like rapid eye movement and slow-wave deep sleep.
Inadequate sleep and excessive sleep can both be associated with high glucose production, according to Koran. There were no signs that different stages of sleep trigger more production of glucose, but there was an association of deep sleep with decreased secretion of insulin.
"Reduced insulin secretion may lead to higher glucose levels than we found in subjects who had in sufficient sleep," Koren said. Further investigation will be done of the sleep patterns of obese adolescents.
Diet and exercise remain vital to controlling weight and preventing diabetes, but now sleep can be added to the prescription.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Vaccine Not Coming Soon Enough; Australia and New Zealand Prepare for Possible Outbreak
- Ebola Virus Spreading in Africa Could Reach US
- Top 10 Deadliest Viruses To Ever Exist
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet
- Gluten-Free Diets? Research Says it Contains No Nutrition!
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools