Birds Can Also Produce Milk For Their Chicks
By Karen Mae Cordon | September 22, 2011 8:45 AM EST
It is a common knowledge that mammals are the only animal types that can produce milk for their babies. However, research shows that even birds like pigeons and flamingos can also feed their chicks with their own milk.
Surprisingly, this avian milk can be produced not only by female birds but also by male birds. When the baby birds receive avian milk, they will have higher immunity levels.
This strange phenomenon was researched and studied by the BMC Genomics Team. It was found that avian milk fulfils a similar function to mammalian milk. They also found out that birds have genes to produce antioxidants and immune proteins.
Therefore, the main function of avian milk is to build the immune system of newly hatched birds and to provide nutrients essential for growth and development. Avian milk is produced on avian cells and is filled with fat and protein.
“It is possible that if antioxidant and immune proteins are present in pigeon 'milk', they are directly enhancing the immune system of the developing squab as well as protecting the parental crop tissue.” says Meagan Gillespie, one of the authors of this study. She also reported that chicks are fed with milk on the first week of their existence and drink milk and eat adult food on the succeeding weeks.
The Avian Milk and The Avian Flu
Since avian milk can boost chick’s immune system and save them from different diseases, baby birds are safe from avian flu.
Recent news reported that avian flu killed numerous birds in Australia and in other countries. This instance alarmed the world for another pandemic disease caused by these winged animals.
More studies should be conducted on how avian milk is produced and how can it help in preventing different avian diseases from spreading. Thus, avoiding the transmission to man.
Other Avian Diseases
Aside from Avian Influenza, there are different avian diseases that can harm man’s health. Here are some of them:
1. Avian Tuberculosis
This can be acquired when the bacteria and viruses on bird’s feces entersthe human system through inhalation. This disease can affect both man and birds, and could lead to death as well.
Commonly known as Parrot Disease, chlamydiosis can be transmitted easily from one man to another. Most victims of this type of avian caused disease are usually quarantined to prevent the spread of the disease.
The most commonly affected system of this disease is the gastrointestinal system. Though this disease is associated with diarrhea and lethargy in men, infected birds do not show any symptoms.
Aside from these, there are also other avian diseases like giardia, cryptosporidiosis, New Castle’s Disease, and salmonellosis. Perhaps, if people know how to treat and prevent birds from having these diseases, then transmission to man may also be decreased or eliminated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers