Iran to arrest women with suntan
By Xien Jana Vencio | April 30, 2010 12:13 AM EST
Better hide those bronzed skin when visiting Tehran, Iran. At least if you are a woman.
On Thursday, Tehran police chief Brig. Gen. Hossien Sajedinia has warned that all women sporting a tan will be arrested and imprisoned because this violates the "spirit of Islamic law." Thus, any woman that looked like a "walking mannequin" will be punished.
He said that the Iranian public expects the police to act firmly and swiftly to any social misbehavior caused by women, and men, particularly those who defy the Islamic values. He cited some areas in northern Tehran where suntanned women and young girls look like walking mannequins.
"We are not going to tolerate this situation and will first warn those found in this manner and then arrest and imprison them," Sajedinia said.
The warning is the latest move by Iranian authorities that is showing a trend towards "radical" implementation of Islam. Recently, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad warned of an impending major earthquake.
Prior to Ahmadinejad's statement, senior Iranian cleric, Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, claimed that revealing female clothing disturbed young men and also caused earthquakes.
"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.
But some analysts said that the new order for women to dress "immodestly" is part of a wider campaign by the government to quash the opposition movement.
According to Iranian law, women should dress according to Islamic values and requires them to wear headscarves and loose-fitting, figure-disguising cloaks. But many Iranian women have been liberally interpreting this rule due to lack of legal clarity and partly due to a growing desire for women to be in fashion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Interpol Recommends Multinational Probe to Trace Foley Executioner: UK Muslims Assure Full Support
- Awareness Building Project to Check Sexual Violence Evokes Good Response in New Zealand Schools
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Israeli Air Raids Kill Three Hamas Commanders: US Urges More Dialogue
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch