Iran to arrest women with suntan
By Xien Jana Vencio | April 30, 2010 12:13 AM EST
Better hide those bronzed skin when visiting Tehran, Iran. At least if you are a woman.
On Thursday, Tehran police chief Brig. Gen. Hossien Sajedinia has warned that all women sporting a tan will be arrested and imprisoned because this violates the "spirit of Islamic law." Thus, any woman that looked like a "walking mannequin" will be punished.
He said that the Iranian public expects the police to act firmly and swiftly to any social misbehavior caused by women, and men, particularly those who defy the Islamic values. He cited some areas in northern Tehran where suntanned women and young girls look like walking mannequins.
"We are not going to tolerate this situation and will first warn those found in this manner and then arrest and imprison them," Sajedinia said.
The warning is the latest move by Iranian authorities that is showing a trend towards "radical" implementation of Islam. Recently, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad warned of an impending major earthquake.
Prior to Ahmadinejad's statement, senior Iranian cleric, Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, claimed that revealing female clothing disturbed young men and also caused earthquakes.
"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.
But some analysts said that the new order for women to dress "immodestly" is part of a wider campaign by the government to quash the opposition movement.
According to Iranian law, women should dress according to Islamic values and requires them to wear headscarves and loose-fitting, figure-disguising cloaks. But many Iranian women have been liberally interpreting this rule due to lack of legal clarity and partly due to a growing desire for women to be in fashion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Canada's Auto Sector Bailout Lacked Proper Oversight: Accountant General's Report Slams Federal Gov't
- Ukraine Says Russia Has Stopped Delivering Coal, While France Delays Warship Delivery to Russia
- New Zealand Sets New Regulations For Flying Unmanned Aircraft
- Iraqi Corruption Has Enabled ISIS Access To U.S. Weapons
- New Zealand PM John Key Told To 'Cut the Crap' and Resign If He Can't Apologise Over SIS Report
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims