Australian Senator to Name Catholic Priest Involved in Sex Abuse Scandal
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 13, 2011 3:04 PM EST
Australian independent Senator Nick Xenophon said Tuesday he will name in Parliament a Catholic priest involved in a sex abuse scandal despite a request from the church to refrain.
He plans to make the disclosure using his parliamentary privilege.
The scandal stems from Anglican Archbishop John Hepworth's allegation that when he was still a Catholic seminarian, two priests and another student repeatedly molested him sexually. Two of them are now dead, while the third one is still an active priest in the Adelaide Archdiocese.
In a bid to contain the scandal, the archdiocese offered Hepworth an apology and financial payment.
An archdiocese spokesman said it was aware of the Anglican bishop's complaint since 2007, but the hierarchy took no action because Hepworth then said he was ready to make a formal complaint, but only did it this year.
Xenophon sought for the suspension of the surviving priest involved otherwise he threatened to publicly name the priest. He gave the Archdiocese until 12:30 p.m. Tuesday to suspend the priest.
The senator also pushed for a federal government probe into the abuse scandal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery