Australian Senator to Name Catholic Priest Involved in Sex Abuse Scandal
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 13, 2011 3:04 PM EST
Australian independent Senator Nick Xenophon said Tuesday he will name in Parliament a Catholic priest involved in a sex abuse scandal despite a request from the church to refrain.
He plans to make the disclosure using his parliamentary privilege.
The scandal stems from Anglican Archbishop John Hepworth's allegation that when he was still a Catholic seminarian, two priests and another student repeatedly molested him sexually. Two of them are now dead, while the third one is still an active priest in the Adelaide Archdiocese.
In a bid to contain the scandal, the archdiocese offered Hepworth an apology and financial payment.
An archdiocese spokesman said it was aware of the Anglican bishop's complaint since 2007, but the hierarchy took no action because Hepworth then said he was ready to make a formal complaint, but only did it this year.
Xenophon sought for the suspension of the surviving priest involved otherwise he threatened to publicly name the priest. He gave the Archdiocese until 12:30 p.m. Tuesday to suspend the priest.
The senator also pushed for a federal government probe into the abuse scandal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed