Yoga May Help in Management of Diabetes
By GG Daine | September 10, 2011 9:57 AM EST
The findings of a study conducted on 123 middle-aged and older adults, who added yoga classes to their standard diabetic care, yielded favourable results.
In a report released in the journal Diabetes Care, yoga classes appears to help individuals with Type 2 diabetes shed handful of pounds and held blood sugar level steady compared to the non-yoga-practicing "control" group, whose blood sugar levels rose.
Despite the benefits achieved through yoga , the findings does not recommend yoga replacing other forms of exercise for people with Type 2 diabetes.
To achieve considerable weight loss and efficient control of blood sugar, a more vigorous exercise would work better according to Shreelaxmi V. Hegde of the Srinivas Institute of Medical Science and Research Center in Mangalore, India, the New York Times reports.
The study found that among 60 yoga participants their average BMI fell from 25.9 to 25.4 . A BMI (Body Max Index) is a measure of weight in relation to height, with 25 to 30 considered as overweight.
Study also revealed a decline in oxidative stress in the yoga group. Oxidative stress is a condition of increased oxidant production in cells characterized by the release of free radicals and resulting in cellular degeneration. Long-term oxidative stress may be a contributory factor to a host of chronic diseases.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon