Australian Dollar Falls After RBA Comments
September 6, 2011 6:02 PM EST
At 4.20pm AEST, the Aussie was down to $US1.0522 from $US1.0587 late yesterday. Against the Japanese yen, the local currency was at Y80.34, down from Y82.205.
The Reserve Bank of Australia decided to leave the cash rate unchanged at 4.75 per cent at its board meeting on Tuesday.
Governor Glenn Stevens cited conditions in global financial markets have been very unsettled over recent weeks, as participants have confronted uncertainty about both the resolution of sovereign debt problems and the prospects for economic growth in Europe and the United States. As a result, the outlook for the global economy is less clear than it was earlier in the year.
Mr Stevens said “At this stage, little evidence is available to gauge any effects of the European and US problems on other regions.”
“Overall, the near-term growth outlook continues to look somewhat weaker than was expected a few months ago. Beyond the near term, growth is still likely to be at trend or higher, unless the world economic outlook continues to deteriorate,” he said.
Mr Stevens said a key question will be the extent to which softer global and domestic growth will work, in due course, to contain inflation.
“Most financial indicators suggest that monetary policy has been exerting a degree of restraint. Credit growth has declined over recent months and is very subdued by historical standards, even with evidence of greater willingness to lend. Most asset prices, including housing prices, have also softened. The exchange rate is high. Each of these variables is affected by other factors as well, but together they point to financial conditions being tighter than normal.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Month After Ukraine Plane Crash, Malaysia Airlines Doubles Commission of Australian Travel Agents to 11% to Boost Seat Sales
- Australia Could Become an Oil Giant After Apache Discovery of Field With Potential of 300 Million Barrels of Black Gold
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 20, 2014
- European Telcos in Buy-out Mode for American Firms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015