OneSteel Acquires $346M Ore Assets in South Australia
August 22, 2011 12:16 PM EST
OneSteel announced on Monday (August 22) that it has forged an agreement with WPG Resources Limited (WPG), acquiring the latter's iron ore assets in northern South Australia for $346 million.
The said deal would further increase OneSteel's mining assets and promote its expansion plans in the medium term, the company said in a statement to the Australia Stock Exchange (ASX).
As a fully integrated, global manufacturer and distributor of steel and finished steel products OneSteel's acquistion of WPG's mineral assets would give the company access to Peculiar Knob high grade DSO haematite project and the Buzzard and Tui DSO hematite and magnetite deposits at Hawks Nest in addition to selected iron ore exploration assets.
In the same company announcement, OneSteel said it will invest an additional A$50 million for capital expenditure to complete the infrastructure at Peculiar Knob.
Moreover, OneSteel will also put an additional A$200 million for the expansion of its export port facilities at Whyalla, South Australia.
OneSteel said the project will bring the export capacity of its port facilities to 12 million tonnes per annum by fourth quarter of calendar year 2012 from the current capacity of 6.5 to 7 million tonnes per annum.
It said cost of the expansion is still subject to "finalisation of design and scope."
"Today's announcement reflects significant work carried out by the company over an extended period to ensure we maximise the opportunities from our port facilities at Whyalla, and is consistent with our stated strategy of investing to grow our resources focused mining and mining consumables businesses," OneSteel Managing Director and CEO Mr. Geoff Plummer said.
He said the WPG assets are quality high grade iron ore and OneSteel expects to commence sales of this ore in the fourth quarter of the 2012 calendar year.
"We expect the combination of the high quality iron ore and our 'speed to market' through our proven capability to quickly expand the port and related infrastructure will deliver attractive returns for OneSteel and its shareholders," Mr. Plummer said.
WPG in a separate announcement said the transaction to OneSteel will compliment the sale of WPG's subsidiaries, namely, Southern Iron Pty Ltd, Central Iron Pty Ltd and Coober Pedy Resources Pty Ltd on a "cash- and debt-free basis."
OneSteel's acquisition of WPG's assets will close in October 2011.
Whyalla North Harbour Expansion
OneSteel said the expansion at the Whyalla North Harbour requires construction of additional receival and storage facilities and ship loading facilities and expansion of transhipping operations.
"The port expansion opens a number of opportunities for increased sales from OneSteel's existing iron ore operations, as identified through the ongoing review of OneSteel's mining operations in the Middleback Ranges, and through the acquisition of the WPG iron ore assets," Mr. Plummer said.
The company said it does not anticipate any major disruption to its existing iron ore export operations throughout the expansion period.
"Progressing these two initiatives simultaneously delivers a significant step up in our port capacity and iron ore sales, including enabling us to leverage our existing infrastructure to deliver high grade ore to the market quickly to take advantage of current iron ore prices," Mr. Plummer said. With reports from Alena Flores
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales