Qantas Moves to Cut 1000 Jobs; Angers Unions
August 16, 2011 4:41 PM EST
Australia’s flagship airline Qantas has announced wholesale changes that will see the loss of 1000 jobs as it cuts international routes, retires four Boeing 747s and delays the delivery of six Airbus A380 superjumbos by up to six years.
Of the 1000 jobs to go, 350 voluntary lay off packages have already been offered to long-haul cabin crew. Redundancies will also be placed in management, pilots and engineering.
Defending the job cut, Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said this move is necessary to save a failing business.
“We don’t have the option of pretending that things will change if we stay the same.
“They won’t. To do nothing, or tinker around the edges, would only guarantee the end of Qantas international in our home Australian market.”
"Eighty-two of every 100 people flying out of Australia are now choosing to fly with an airline other than Qantas, not including Jetstar," Mr Joyce said.
The job cuts however inflamed tensions with unions, who were quick to condemn the strategy.
“Today’s announcement by Qantas of wholesale changes to the airlines international operation is a slap in the face to the loyal Qantas workers who have built the airline’s safety record and reputation. The Australian Services Union, the largest union representing Qantas employees, condemns the move." the ASU said.
ASU Assistant National Secretary Linda White said “ASU members will not be flat footed – we intend to fight this.
“We successfully lobbied in relation to the APA bid and we will do it again because Australians deserve better,” she said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports