Retailers Post Increase in March Sales, but Analysts Aren’t Celebrating Yet
By Jonathan | April 9, 2010 5:53 AM EST
After a winter of uncertainty, analysts are celebrating the increase in retailers’ March sales. The Thomson Reuters’ Same-Store Sales Index rose 9.1% last month to the highest level in the index’s 10-year history.
Companies such as Kohl’s, Nordstrom, The Limited and Gap posted rising numbers, prompting some to say that its proof of an improving economy and increased consumer spending. However, some analysts are hesitant to laud the improved numbers.
Howard Davidowitz of Davidowitz & Associates commented that “there are some positives” in consumer spending, but he believes it’s a “sucker’s rally” in retail stocks and any rebound in consumer spending will be short lived.
“We’re in a bad place, heading for a worse place,” he says. The veteran analyst notes that huge retailers, such as Wal-Mart, were excluded.
“When you look at comp retail sales they don’t include the giants, they include some little dinky apparel chain doing a billion-five [in sales] and these analysts are dancing in the street.”
Furthermore, retailers fear that the jump in March sales will result in low April numbers. Additionally, the Retail SPDR was essentially flat at midday.
Davidowitz says the financial condition of the country is in “dramatically worse shape” than it was a year ago, with “no real jobs growth…deficits gone mad” and prospects for higher taxes for all Americans.
“There’s clearly pent up demand – there are needs [and] the consumer is jumping on those needs,” he says. “We’re in a cyclical economy. That doesn’t mean we’re better off. ”
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display