Retailers Post Increase in March Sales, but Analysts Aren’t Celebrating Yet
By Jonathan | April 9, 2010 5:53 AM EST
After a winter of uncertainty, analysts are celebrating the increase in retailers’ March sales. The Thomson Reuters’ Same-Store Sales Index rose 9.1% last month to the highest level in the index’s 10-year history.
Companies such as Kohl’s, Nordstrom, The Limited and Gap posted rising numbers, prompting some to say that its proof of an improving economy and increased consumer spending. However, some analysts are hesitant to laud the improved numbers.
Howard Davidowitz of Davidowitz & Associates commented that “there are some positives” in consumer spending, but he believes it’s a “sucker’s rally” in retail stocks and any rebound in consumer spending will be short lived.
“We’re in a bad place, heading for a worse place,” he says. The veteran analyst notes that huge retailers, such as Wal-Mart, were excluded.
“When you look at comp retail sales they don’t include the giants, they include some little dinky apparel chain doing a billion-five [in sales] and these analysts are dancing in the street.”
Furthermore, retailers fear that the jump in March sales will result in low April numbers. Additionally, the Retail SPDR was essentially flat at midday.
Davidowitz says the financial condition of the country is in “dramatically worse shape” than it was a year ago, with “no real jobs growth…deficits gone mad” and prospects for higher taxes for all Americans.
“There’s clearly pent up demand – there are needs [and] the consumer is jumping on those needs,” he says. “We’re in a cyclical economy. That doesn’t mean we’re better off. ”
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]