UK Scientists Warn of Possible 'Planet of the Apes' Scenario
July 26, 2011 11:11 PM EST
Scientists in the United Kingdom are warning future researchers that the lack of ethical rules could lead to the humanizing of animals and a possible scenario much like the movie "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," in which scientists inadvertently create a new breed of ape with human-like intelligence.
The report calls for more stringent rules to supervise sensitive research involving animals and giving them human-like characteristics. One area of concern is the "Category Three" experiments which because of very strong ethical concerns should be banned outright. One example is giving apes the power of speech.
Professor Thomas Baldwin, member of the Academy of Medical Sciences working group that produced the report, said that the possibility of humanoid apes should be taken seriously even if it is still largely fictional at the moment.
"The fear is that if you start putting very large numbers of human brain cells into the brains of primates suddenly you might transform the primate into something that has some of the capacities that we regard as distinctively human ... speech, or other ways of being able to manipulate or relate to us," he said in a news briefing in London.
Research involving great apes is illegal in the UK but allowed in other countries including the U.S. Scientists working in the United States have already implanted human embryonic stem cells into mouse embryos. The mouse cells eventually outgrew the human stem cells but a portion of the embryos still had the human stem cells.
Professor Baldwin said that researchers should apply the "Great Ape Test" on future research. If modified monkeys began to acquire abilities similar to those of chimpanzees, it was time to "hold off."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop