UK Scientists Warn of Possible 'Planet of the Apes' Scenario
July 26, 2011 11:11 PM EST
Scientists in the United Kingdom are warning future researchers that the lack of ethical rules could lead to the humanizing of animals and a possible scenario much like the movie "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," in which scientists inadvertently create a new breed of ape with human-like intelligence.
The report calls for more stringent rules to supervise sensitive research involving animals and giving them human-like characteristics. One area of concern is the "Category Three" experiments which because of very strong ethical concerns should be banned outright. One example is giving apes the power of speech.
Professor Thomas Baldwin, member of the Academy of Medical Sciences working group that produced the report, said that the possibility of humanoid apes should be taken seriously even if it is still largely fictional at the moment.
"The fear is that if you start putting very large numbers of human brain cells into the brains of primates suddenly you might transform the primate into something that has some of the capacities that we regard as distinctively human ... speech, or other ways of being able to manipulate or relate to us," he said in a news briefing in London.
Research involving great apes is illegal in the UK but allowed in other countries including the U.S. Scientists working in the United States have already implanted human embryonic stem cells into mouse embryos. The mouse cells eventually outgrew the human stem cells but a portion of the embryos still had the human stem cells.
Professor Baldwin said that researchers should apply the "Great Ape Test" on future research. If modified monkeys began to acquire abilities similar to those of chimpanzees, it was time to "hold off."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Musical Training Enhances Long-Term Memory
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan