UK Scientists Warn of Possible 'Planet of the Apes' Scenario
July 26, 2011 11:11 PM EST
Scientists in the United Kingdom are warning future researchers that the lack of ethical rules could lead to the humanizing of animals and a possible scenario much like the movie "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," in which scientists inadvertently create a new breed of ape with human-like intelligence.
The report calls for more stringent rules to supervise sensitive research involving animals and giving them human-like characteristics. One area of concern is the "Category Three" experiments which because of very strong ethical concerns should be banned outright. One example is giving apes the power of speech.
Professor Thomas Baldwin, member of the Academy of Medical Sciences working group that produced the report, said that the possibility of humanoid apes should be taken seriously even if it is still largely fictional at the moment.
"The fear is that if you start putting very large numbers of human brain cells into the brains of primates suddenly you might transform the primate into something that has some of the capacities that we regard as distinctively human ... speech, or other ways of being able to manipulate or relate to us," he said in a news briefing in London.
Research involving great apes is illegal in the UK but allowed in other countries including the U.S. Scientists working in the United States have already implanted human embryonic stem cells into mouse embryos. The mouse cells eventually outgrew the human stem cells but a portion of the embryos still had the human stem cells.
Professor Baldwin said that researchers should apply the "Great Ape Test" on future research. If modified monkeys began to acquire abilities similar to those of chimpanzees, it was time to "hold off."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS