Amy Winehouse joins list of musicians who died too young at 27
July 25, 2011 6:41 PM EST
The death of British singer Amy Winehouse, 27, found dead in her house last Saturday means that there is another member of the fabled "The 27 Club." The term used in popular culture is a group of troubled musicians who died at the age of 27.
The list of stars that have died at this age and were a huge influence on music during their short careers include the following.
Brian Jones. Founding member of The Rolling Stones and best known for his guitar and harmonica playing, Jones was also infamous for his heavy drug use. He was replaced by Mick Taylor after the other members grew tired of his antics. A month later the star was found dead in his swimming pool at his home in Sussex.
Janis Joplin. Widely regarded as the Queen of Rock and Roll and the Queen of Psychedelic Soul, Joplin was at the height of her career when she was discovered dead by her manager at the Landmark Motor Hotel in Los Angeles. The singer's heavy drug use eventually led to her death from heroin overdose.
Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix' skill with the electric guitar made him a musical legend and his sense of style made him an icon. He died in London, the cause of death asphyxiation.
Jim Morrison. Doors lead singer and songwriter, Jim Morrison was found dead in a bathtub in a Paris flat. Although many claims that he died of a drug overdose, the singer's official cause of death is listed as heart failure.
Kurt Cobain. Lead singer of the seminal grunge band, Nirvana Kurt Cobain was discovered dead in his house from a gunshot to the head. Coroners eventually ruled his death as a suicide. Cobain's heroin addiction and his battle with depression has been widely believed to have been the cause of his death.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date