Amy Winehouse joins list of musicians who died too young at 27
July 25, 2011 6:41 PM EST
The death of British singer Amy Winehouse, 27, found dead in her house last Saturday means that there is another member of the fabled "The 27 Club." The term used in popular culture is a group of troubled musicians who died at the age of 27.
The list of stars that have died at this age and were a huge influence on music during their short careers include the following.
Brian Jones. Founding member of The Rolling Stones and best known for his guitar and harmonica playing, Jones was also infamous for his heavy drug use. He was replaced by Mick Taylor after the other members grew tired of his antics. A month later the star was found dead in his swimming pool at his home in Sussex.
Janis Joplin. Widely regarded as the Queen of Rock and Roll and the Queen of Psychedelic Soul, Joplin was at the height of her career when she was discovered dead by her manager at the Landmark Motor Hotel in Los Angeles. The singer's heavy drug use eventually led to her death from heroin overdose.
Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix' skill with the electric guitar made him a musical legend and his sense of style made him an icon. He died in London, the cause of death asphyxiation.
Jim Morrison. Doors lead singer and songwriter, Jim Morrison was found dead in a bathtub in a Paris flat. Although many claims that he died of a drug overdose, the singer's official cause of death is listed as heart failure.
Kurt Cobain. Lead singer of the seminal grunge band, Nirvana Kurt Cobain was discovered dead in his house from a gunshot to the head. Coroners eventually ruled his death as a suicide. Cobain's heroin addiction and his battle with depression has been widely believed to have been the cause of his death.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists