Australia and Africa in bid for SKA location, radio telescope could discover extraterrestrial life
July 5, 2011 6:07 PM EST
The world's most powerful radio telescope could find a home in Western Australia if it wins over other countries including South Africa to host the massive Square Kilometer Array (SKA) radio telescope.
Australia is competing with lead partner South Africa and eight other African countries for the right to build the 1.5 billion euro project and is being called the "World Cup of Science". The SKA telescope will be the most sensitive radio telescope ever built. The SKA could potentially pick up alien signals and will investigate other mysteries of the universe like dark matter and how it helped the formation of stars.
Professor Watson, astronomer in charge at the Australian Astronomical Observatory at Coonabarabran in NSW said the SKA is important in asking about the big questions in science. "Always with these things the most exciting discoveries are the ones that are completely unexpected. So who knows what a facility like this might produce?"
If Australia wins the bid the SKA telescope will be built in the Murchison region in the WA outback. An international panel of experts will decide in 2012 where the final location will be.
The Murchison region in the WA outback is vying with a site in southern Africa for the SKA with a group of international scientists expected to make a final decision in 2012.
A meeting in Canada this week will bring together scientists, engineers and government representatives and could give clues as to where the SKA will be located. Once the location has been finalized the array will begin construction in 2016 and will be fully operational by 2024.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports