Free cell phone calls to Lifeline from anywhere in Australia
June 29, 2011 12:28 PM EST
Mobile phone calls to Lifeline made from anywhere in Australia will no-longer be charged starting 1 July under a new deal made between the three major phone carriers.
Telstra, Optus and Vodafone Hutchison Australia have all agreed to abolish call charges from mobile phones to Lifeline’s national crisis line (13 11 14). This arrangement will also be passed through to the downstream resellers of the three carriers’ mobile services.
Minister for Mental Health and Ageing, Mark Butler, and the Minister for Broadband,
Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy today welcomed the agreement as an important means of helping people who are in crisis.
The Gillard Labor Government is providing $18.2 million over three years to Lifeline to boost the capacity of the organisation to respond to more calls and to support free calls from mobiles.
“Lifeline is the national provider of telephone-based support for people who are in crisis, offering 24 hour support to people who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts and making it more accessible to anyone in a crisis situation is extremely important,” Mr Butler announced today during a visit to Lifeline Adelaide.
“Each year, more than 114,000 calls to Lifeline’s national crisis line are made from mobiles and more than 40 calls every day come from people at high risk of suicide.
“The costs associated with what is often a lengthy phone call may have been a disincentive for people who are seeking crisis care.
"This measure will remove cost as a barrier to seeking help and ensure more people can access the support that they need.”
Senator Conroy also thanked the three mobile phone carriers for working with Lifeline to achieve this outcome.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone