Young Australians dubbed ‘Generation Y-Rent?’
June 28, 2011 11:32 AM EST
Gen-Y Australians are avoiding renting property, preferring to go straight from the family home to home ownership where possible, recent data shows.
Specialist lender RAMS Home Loans surveyed 1000 of its mortgage holders aged less than 30 years old. Of the respondents, 71 per cent claimed to have never rented a property, while 76 per cent admitted to staying at home longer than they would have liked in order to avoid paying rent for the purpose of saving for a home loan deposit.
RAMS Home Loans’ CEO, Melos Sulicich said there has been a long standing trend towards extended living in the parental home before leaving to rent.
"What we are increasingly seeing is younger Australians using this time to save for their own home instead and avoiding renting. It’s become a common financial strategy.”
The trend towards extended living at home before moving straight to home ownership is strongest in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne where housing affordability concerns are most prominent.
Aiming at younger Australians living at home, RAMS has created the “Fast Track‟ home loan, which is designed so first home buyers can buy their first home sooner with parental help and avoid paying mortgage insurance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date