Young Australians dubbed ‘Generation Y-Rent?’
June 28, 2011 11:32 AM EST
Gen-Y Australians are avoiding renting property, preferring to go straight from the family home to home ownership where possible, recent data shows.
Specialist lender RAMS Home Loans surveyed 1000 of its mortgage holders aged less than 30 years old. Of the respondents, 71 per cent claimed to have never rented a property, while 76 per cent admitted to staying at home longer than they would have liked in order to avoid paying rent for the purpose of saving for a home loan deposit.
RAMS Home Loans’ CEO, Melos Sulicich said there has been a long standing trend towards extended living in the parental home before leaving to rent.
"What we are increasingly seeing is younger Australians using this time to save for their own home instead and avoiding renting. It’s become a common financial strategy.”
The trend towards extended living at home before moving straight to home ownership is strongest in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne where housing affordability concerns are most prominent.
Aiming at younger Australians living at home, RAMS has created the “Fast Track‟ home loan, which is designed so first home buyers can buy their first home sooner with parental help and avoid paying mortgage insurance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More