Young Australians dubbed ‘Generation Y-Rent?’
June 28, 2011 11:32 AM EST
Gen-Y Australians are avoiding renting property, preferring to go straight from the family home to home ownership where possible, recent data shows.
Specialist lender RAMS Home Loans surveyed 1000 of its mortgage holders aged less than 30 years old. Of the respondents, 71 per cent claimed to have never rented a property, while 76 per cent admitted to staying at home longer than they would have liked in order to avoid paying rent for the purpose of saving for a home loan deposit.
RAMS Home Loans’ CEO, Melos Sulicich said there has been a long standing trend towards extended living in the parental home before leaving to rent.
"What we are increasingly seeing is younger Australians using this time to save for their own home instead and avoiding renting. It’s become a common financial strategy.”
The trend towards extended living at home before moving straight to home ownership is strongest in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne where housing affordability concerns are most prominent.
Aiming at younger Australians living at home, RAMS has created the “Fast Track‟ home loan, which is designed so first home buyers can buy their first home sooner with parental help and avoid paying mortgage insurance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues